The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officiating 101 - The Jump Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95038-officiating-101-jump-ball.html)

dvboa Tue May 14, 2013 03:08pm

Officiating 101 - The Jump Ball

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/83qbtGTdS7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is part of an instructional series that I'm working on. Thoughts...

Freddy Tue May 14, 2013 03:12pm

Jump Ball

Nice job with the basics needed to know.
Have regularly used your compilation of jump ball plays entitled, "The Fine Art of the Toss." Makes for good group and/or individual instruction.
Thanx.

Raymond Tue May 14, 2013 03:19pm

I think we should always fake the first toss to see how high the jumpers can actually jump. :D

BillyMac Tue May 14, 2013 04:10pm

You Should See The Expression On His Face ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 894183)
I think we should always fake the first toss to see how high the jumpers can actually jump.

I like to step on the shoe of the taller of the two jumpers, just to make it fair.

grunewar Tue May 14, 2013 04:43pm

Inquiring minds want to know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 894189)
I like to step on the shoe of the taller of the two jumpers, just to make it fair.

How does this make it fair? ;)

Nevadaref Tue May 14, 2013 06:39pm

In the video the umpire is about six feet away from the division line. That seems too far away from the book position.
The first time that you mention the jump ball ending, you don't list the ball contacting an official. The second time that this comes up, the official is listed.

Although in the vast majority of jump ball situations, the U goes to L and the R to T, there are cases in which the Umpire becomes the Trail following the toss. For example if the ball is knocked close to an end line and saved by a player of the team going the other direction. Someone must get down there to see that he was inbounds.

What do you mean by the words "move down the court opposite the ball" when talking about the Umpire taking his usual position as Lead following the toss? I found it confusing because the umpire stays tableside no matter where the ball goes.

Lastly, a couple of notes mentioning the three feet depth of the spaces occupied by players around the circle and the consequences of that would be nice. Such as non-jumpers further away from the circle than this three feet are permitted to be moving during the toss (too many officials believe that everyone must 'hold their spots'), plus one about players around the circle not being allowed to stand behind an opponent.

Freddy Tue May 14, 2013 06:55pm

Happens Enough to Pregame It

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 894204)
Although in the vast majority of jump ball situations, the U goes to L and the R to T, there are cases in which the Umpire becomes the Trail following the toss. For example if the ball is knocked close to an end line and saved by a player of the team going the other direction. Someone must get down there to see that he was inbounds.

Good Point.
This happens enough, albeit only twice or so each season, that it merits a regular pre-game mention. Especially with a three-man crew.
The video doesn't, of course, mention everything involving a jump ball scenerio, but it is a good, basic learning tool for new officials.
Another unmentioned scenerio: held ball between two opponents after the jump ball before team control is established results in jump ball between those two players at the center jump circle. That's also happened enough to merit pre-game mention.
Shucks, there's some veterans who could learn from it, too. :o

Mark Padgett Tue May 14, 2013 06:55pm

Let's see..... at 0:33 statement #2 has "restraining" misspelled, unless you really meant "restaining circle". At 0:48, a sentence appears that should have a comma between "mouth" and "step". At 0:53 the word "to" should appear before the phrase "toss the ball".

All times listed are approximate and I'll be glad to edit the rest of the video for a fee of one bagel. :)

dvboa Tue May 14, 2013 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 894208)
Let's see..... at 0:33 statement #2 has "restraining" misspelled, unless you really meant "restaining circle". At 0:48, a sentence appears that should have a comma between "mouth" and "step". At 0:53 the word "to" should appear before the phrase "toss the ball".

All times listed are approximate and I'll be glad to edit the rest of the video for a fee of one bagel. :)

Just let me know where to send the bagel! You guys are awesome!

BillyMac Wed May 15, 2013 05:58am

"Hold Your Spots" ...

Quote:

Non-jumpers further away from the circle than this three feet are permitted to be moving during the toss (too many officials believe that everyone must 'hold their spots').

Amen (unless, of course, all the nonjumpers are leopards).

bob jenkins Wed May 15, 2013 07:29am

Quote:

What do you mean by the words "move down the court opposite the ball" when talking about the Umpire taking his usual position as Lead following the toss? I found it confusing because the umpire stays tableside no matter where the ball goes.

I assume he means that if the ball goes right, the U goes left and vice versa -- that's the "usual" happening, but there are plenty of exceptions.

#olderthanilook Wed May 15, 2013 11:11am

Is the jump ball "legally touched" when touched by a jumper? Or when touched by a non jumper?

dvboa Wed May 15, 2013 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 894273)
Is the jump ball "legally touched" and when touched by a jumper? Or when touched by a non jumper?

Legally touched by the jumper will start the clock. Jump ball restrictions end when the ball is touched by a nonjumper, an official, the floor or the backboard.

If a jumper secures the ball with both hands or touches the ball before it reaches its highest point the clock should not start as it is an illegal touch. If a jumper taps the ball 3 times, the clock would start as the first touch is legal.

MathReferee Wed May 15, 2013 12:23pm

In addition to what other have mentioned, the only thing I would add is to replay the entire jump ball sequence from beginning to end at the conclusion of the instructional part. This way the observer sees the 'parts' of the jump ball, but also gets the whole picture as well. Well done.

dvboa Wed May 15, 2013 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinRef (Post 894297)
In addition to what other have mentioned, the only thing I would add is to replay the entire jump ball sequence from beginning to end at the conclusion of the instructional part. This way the observer sees the 'parts' of the jump ball, but also gets the whole picture as well. Well done.

All good input... I will go back and edit and make additional changes. Thanks everyone for their good advice.