The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I agree, I think the official did the right thing by asking her to get the ball and based on the lack of frustration you describe, I'm assuming the new lead asked nicely. I can see a soccer player using their foot to pass the ball to a ref, however, in basketball, I think it's common practice to pick the ball up and bounce, toss or hand it to the official. Kicking it kinda says, "here, you pick it up". That's where I'm sold.
I look at this play based on the 8 seconds of clip. Heck we don't even see the foul leading up to the play. I don't know if the foul was called on this player. I don't know if this player has been the model citizen all game or not. I dont' know if this same player is really being disrespectful or maybe doesn't know any better (and I can say in my experience in the women's game at the HS players you will get varsity girls who don't know basketball).

Based on all this uncertainty and what was shown on the clip I didn't think THIS was T worthy. Heck if this player was called for the foul and stormed out with the ball and did this then the circumstances change. But I think that unless a supervisor were to address this as either an automatic T either (a) at the placing of the ball on the floor or (b) at the kick (but more like a nudge) of the ball towards the official, I would not be so quick to jump on the T bandwagon here. I would also never get so worked up that my point of view wasn't shared or find the need to resort to more assumptions and name calling.

For the record when I said this could be potentially viewed as overly officious it's what it was. Potentially, it could also be potentially viewed as the right thing to do. The glass is half full and half empty in any discussion involving 2 points of views. My point of view was also supported by evidence, or lack thereof, in the video and 8 seconds of dead ball activity in a vacuum.

What would the consensus be if a TO were called and the player dropped the ball instead of giving it to the official? Do you chase the player down to get you the ball there too?
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Dropped? No.
Purposefully placed it down well away from me while I'm clearly calling for the ball? Yes. It's just the same as bouncing it away from me. Best case for the player, they get the opportunity to fix the issue.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I can see a soccer player using their foot to pass the ball to a ref, however, in basketball, I think it's common practice to pick the ball up and bounce, toss or hand it to the official. Kicking it kinda says, "here, you pick it up". That's where I'm sold.
I'm sold now.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post

What would the consensus be if a TO were called and the player dropped the ball instead of giving it to the official? Do you chase the player down to get you the ball there too?
Two very different things.

Better situation to compare: timeout is called, and I call out to player "Hey 23, ball please!" and now she sets it down in the corner deliberately and walks away? I will more than likely T her (can't say definitely as it hasn't happened yet)

Again, the biggest thing to me in the OP is that the new L is calling for the ball, and she purposefully sets it down and walks away. That is absolutely a "F-ck you" action from that player.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Two very different things.

Better situation to compare: timeout is called, and I call out to player "Hey 23, ball please!" and now she sets it down in the corner deliberately and walks away? I will more than likely T her (can't say definitely as it hasn't happened yet)

Again, the biggest thing to me in the OP is that the new L is calling for the ball, and she purposefully sets it down and walks away. That is absolutely a "F-ck you" action from that player.
I agree, but we don't know nor can we tell how loud he is asking (I have worked with quiet talkers) and it is clear she doesn't see him. Once she does notice she just turns and heads towards the ball. In my experience this is the calmest "showing up" an official I have ever seen. She just looks clueless from this clip and doesn't come off like its attitude laden. I mean its 8 seconds of video, I wish there was some context.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 01:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I agree, but we don't know nor can we tell how loud he is asking (I have worked with quiet talkers) and it is clear she doesn't see him. Once she does notice she just turns and heads towards the ball. In my experience this is the calmest "showing up" an official I have ever seen. She just looks clueless from this clip and doesn't come off like its attitude laden. I mean its 8 seconds of video, I wish there was some context.
I get that...but sometimes context isn't needed to say "That ain't right"...that's what I (and others) am saying here.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And that is a fair assement of the video. But my experiece tells me that this was a rather disrespectful response. Now as I have said I probably would give a T but I could see myself as finding anotehr way. I worked with someone this year in a college game that told the guy "You better pick that ball up or I am giving you a T." The player went and got the ball and gave it to him. The official is a D1 guy (not that the player knew this) and I am sure he would have been supported by the supervisor. Context does matter, but who you work for and who you are might matter too.

Peace
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Book, Chapter, And Verse ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I didn't say I would make something up, but she does have my attention, and I would not pass on anything involving her.
Then we're both on the same page. Just don't spread the word around. Most Forum members don't even like to be in the same thread as me.

("A man is known by the company he keeps.", The Ass and His Purchaser, Aesop's Fable)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 08, 2013 at 05:12pm.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And that is a fair assement of the video. But my experiece tells me that this was a rather disrespectful response. Now as I have said I probably would give a T but I could see myself as finding anotehr way. I worked with someone this year in a college game that told the guy "You better pick that ball up or I am giving you a T." The player went and got the ball and gave it to him. The official is a D1 guy (not that the player knew this) and I am sure he would have been supported by the supervisor. Context does matter, but who you work for and who you are might matter too.

Peace
Rut - Great point about who you work for.....most hs assigners I would think don't want a T on this play. however I bet you over 90% of small college basketball officials working this game would call a T and 100% of D1 officials.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some of the context of this situation is discernible: 2nd half of the ballgame; player heads towards her bench. So, she probably has 2 or more fouls and knew she would sit, due to this foul call and her coach's philosophy. The official, if he thought to T her for her actions, knew it would further affect her playing, and might incite her coach to complain about being too strict. And thinking that she was going to sit, anyway, he may have thought to not T her, but just comment to her as she passed by him.
I work for an assignor who would definitely consider a T in this situation to be excessive, unfortunately.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Some of the context of this situation is discernible: 2nd half of the ballgame; player heads towards her bench. So, she probably has 2 or more fouls and knew she would sit, due to this foul call and her coach's philosophy. The official, if he thought to T her for her actions, knew it would further affect her playing, and might incite her coach to complain about being too strict. And thinking that she was going to sit, anyway, he may have thought to not T her, but just comment to her as she passed by him.
I work for an assignor who would definitely consider a T in this situation to be excessive, unfortunately.
This may surprise some here but I don't make calls bf on you're I think a player or coach would feel or react. I also don't care of a player's foul count when making a call.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 09:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Sad.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't make calls bf on you're I think a player or coach would feel or react.
Anyone have a clue how to decipher this?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This may surprise some here but I don't make calls bf on you're I think a player or coach would feel or react. I also don't care of a player's foul count when making a call.
Can you please re-word that first sentence?
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Doh, that teaches me to post while mobile. I meant to say I don't care on what they may say or feel when making a call