Thread: T or no T
View Single Post
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I agree, I think the official did the right thing by asking her to get the ball and based on the lack of frustration you describe, I'm assuming the new lead asked nicely. I can see a soccer player using their foot to pass the ball to a ref, however, in basketball, I think it's common practice to pick the ball up and bounce, toss or hand it to the official. Kicking it kinda says, "here, you pick it up". That's where I'm sold.
I look at this play based on the 8 seconds of clip. Heck we don't even see the foul leading up to the play. I don't know if the foul was called on this player. I don't know if this player has been the model citizen all game or not. I dont' know if this same player is really being disrespectful or maybe doesn't know any better (and I can say in my experience in the women's game at the HS players you will get varsity girls who don't know basketball).

Based on all this uncertainty and what was shown on the clip I didn't think THIS was T worthy. Heck if this player was called for the foul and stormed out with the ball and did this then the circumstances change. But I think that unless a supervisor were to address this as either an automatic T either (a) at the placing of the ball on the floor or (b) at the kick (but more like a nudge) of the ball towards the official, I would not be so quick to jump on the T bandwagon here. I would also never get so worked up that my point of view wasn't shared or find the need to resort to more assumptions and name calling.

For the record when I said this could be potentially viewed as overly officious it's what it was. Potentially, it could also be potentially viewed as the right thing to do. The glass is half full and half empty in any discussion involving 2 points of views. My point of view was also supported by evidence, or lack thereof, in the video and 8 seconds of dead ball activity in a vacuum.

What would the consensus be if a TO were called and the player dropped the ball instead of giving it to the official? Do you chase the player down to get you the ball there too?