Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 02, 2013, 05:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Third Wheel ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe you should not be in this conversation if you do not know what one is?
I have never, ever, agreed with you more. I hate it when you guys start discussing three person games. I always feel left out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 02, 2013, 05:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I find it kind of ironic that a small state that has produced multiple national championships in college basketball still insists on archaic structure for officiating high school ball. The other irony is that your IAABO Board will probably insist that it's a financial issue with the schools.
It's not finances, well it's not all finances. It's the coaches. We have a very powerful state coaches association here in Connecticut. And the members of the coaches association are "best buds" with our state interscholastic sports governing body. There are about a dozen and a half very powerful coaches, the guys that win lots of state championships, that basically run the basketball end of the coaches association. These guys, and they're pretty much all guys, win by playing a very up tempo, aggressive, defensive style of basketball, in all types of schools, urban, suburban, and rural. They all believe, right, or wrong, (perception is often reality) that a third official will lead to more fouls being called, which will force them to change their successful style of coaching. The coaches aren't interested in a three person game, athletic directors, and principals (for financial reasons), are more than willing to side with their coaches, and the state interscholastic sports governing body has no problem siding with the coaches, athletic directors, and principals. Believe it, or not, nobody, on the school end, is pushing for three person games here in Connecticut, so we won't be heading in that direction for years to come, if ever.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu May 02, 2013, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Braggards ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Many of the rest of us do work 3-man and have situations that involve 3 officials.
Go ahead. Rub salt in my wounds.

Old Thu May 02, 2013, 09:52pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...Believe it, or not, nobody, on the school end, is pushing for three person games here in Connecticut, so we won't be heading in that direction for years to come, if ever.
For a state that prides itself on being progressive...I find that incredibly Bass Ackwards...I give you credit for staying with it. I'd throw in the towel out of frustration after having "advanced" to three man. I don't think I could ever go back to 2-man on a permanent basis.