The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I don't disagree. However, there's nothing in the post that indicates who left the floor first.

In the Van Exel case Nick was a foot or two behind the 3 point arc, faked a shot, the defender jumped sideways to Nick, parallel to the line, and 2-3' INSIDE the line.
Van Exel jab steps 2-3' across the line, stepping well
inside the arc, then jumping into the passing defender.
Threw up a prayer (missed by 15+ feet, not really even a shot attempt). Was awarded *3* free throws (that was the
other question: shouldn't that be reviewable like a shot?).

Often in the Reggie Miller cases the defender jumps within
his vertical plane, and after the defender is in the air,
Miller lunges in and under and throws up a shot. The other
Miller trick is extending his legs outside his vertical plane on jumpers, hooking the passing defender. Far more often than not Miller gets those calls. I've NEVER seen him
called for those kind of offensive fouls. I remember reading
an NBA official's interview, and he admitted they were well
aware of Millers tricks, but that he was so good at them it was hard to catch him, and he often benefited from bad calls.

"Protect the shooter."

I agree! But....*IF* the defender jumps first, and will land
well outside the shooter's vertical, the defender does not extend his arms, shouldn't the airborn defender be given the same protection according to the rules? Or at least the
benefit of a no call?

"If I see a player running at me, there's nothing that prevents me from jumping into his path while in the act. In such cases, the cardinal rule of jump shooting is usually going to apply, "Protect the shooter."
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Let me fix them quotes:

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

"I don't disagree. However, there's nothing in the post that indicates who left the floor first."

In the Van Exel case Nick was a foot or two behind the 3 point arc, faked a shot, the defender jumped sideways to Nick, parallel to the line, and 2-3' INSIDE the line.
Van Exel jab steps 2-3' across the line, stepping well
inside the arc, then jumping into the passing defender.
Threw up a prayer (missed by 15+ feet, not really even a shot attempt). Was awarded *3* free throws (that was the
other question: shouldn't that be reviewable like a shot?).

Often in the Reggie Miller cases the defender jumps within
his vertical plane, and after the defender is in the air,
Miller lunges in and under and throws up a shot. The other
Miller trick is extending his legs outside his vertical plane on jumpers, hooking the passing defender. Far more often than not Miller gets those calls. I've NEVER seen him
called for those kind of offensive fouls. I remember reading
an NBA official's interview, and he admitted they were well
aware of Millers tricks, but that he was so good at them it was hard to catch him, and he often benefited from bad calls.

"Protect the shooter."

I agree! But....*IF* the defender jumps first, and will land
well outside the shooter's vertical, the defender does not extend his arms, shouldn't the airborn defender be given the same protection according to the rules? Or at least the
benefit of a no call?

"If I see a player running at me, there's nothing that prevents me from jumping into his path while in the act. In such cases, the cardinal rule of jump shooting is usually going to apply, "Protect the shooter."
[/QUOTE]
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Joe, it's a lot easier to hit quote, and then type BELOW the quote.
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Same thing as happened in game 1 took place again tonight in game 5. Van Exel was in front of the SA bench in the 4th quarter and faked a three, then stepped into the two point range (clearly! let's say about two feet inside) and then was fouled while shooting. The officials awarded him three free throws. How can they miss this twice? We get this play right more often in high school games.