The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Video is fairly conclusive....the post player traveled at least twice.

The first travel occurs when his back is to the bucket and lifts both feet before starting a dribble. The second is when he falls backward trying to avoid good defensive position by the Michigan big blocking his direct path to the rim.

AND, how about #7 for L'ville running out of bounds along the baseline (to avoid his own player, no less) just prior to the L'ville big traveling the first time?

Hello.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well it cannot be a travel if you do not have control of the ball. It cannot be a held ball unless you judge at the NCAA level that he had control of the ball on the way down. Once again, there is a debate we can have about how much control the UL player had during his move to the basket. The UL player does try to take on two players to shoot through. It is very likely the ball is being knocked around.

Peace
So, a ball that never leaves a player's hands is not in control???

WOW. Keep making stuff up. You're good at it.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post

AND, how about #7 for L'ville running out of bounds along the baseline (to avoid his own player, no less) ...?

Hello.
Your point?

That is not illegal at the NCAA unless the ball is thrown to #7 as he returns inbounds.

(That is the way the NFHS rule should be)
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So, a ball that never leaves a player's hands is not in control???

WOW. Keep making stuff up. You're good at it.
Never leaves his hands? You telling me the ball is not being knocked around at all?

I believe someone showed an example of a held ball and the question in the video was if the player hand complete control the entire time. That play previously in the tournament that was shown here was called a held ball and people here questioned if you could have a held ball for the very same reason I am questioning here. I guess you have never seen a ball handler try to split to players and ball get slightly knocked out of his hand, but have people want a travel when the ball handler has lost control? I see that often and do not call a travel for the very same reasons. Had that happen in the post season and me and my partner commented to each other during half time why we did not call a travel in that play. And this is about what the officials on the game saw or what they think they saw. They had a much better angle or perspective than anyone here would have. And I bet if you asked them they probably did not see control. Just like the held ball in the WSU-UL game they called a held ball quickly on one of the last possessions of that game and people debated if that was a good call.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Your point?

That is not illegal at the NCAA unless the ball is thrown to #7 as he returns inbounds.

(That is the way the NFHS rule should be)
I'm just a NFHS peon. Hence, my surprise that a player can simply run off the playing court for no apparent reason other than to gain an advantage during a live ball.

Didn't know the NCAA didn't concern itsself with players leaving and re-entering the court on their own terms.

Interesting, to say the least.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AND, how about #7 for L'ville running out of bounds along the baseline (to avoid his own player, no less) just prior to the L'ville big traveling the first time?
If there was a #7 out there for Louisville the crew was having more problems than we thought.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm just a NFHS peon. Hence, my surprise that a player can simply run off the playing court for no apparent reason other than to gain an advantage during a live ball.

Didn't know the NCAA didn't concern itsself with players leaving and re-entering the court on their own terms.

They do concern themselves with it, but it's only penalized if the departed player is the first to touch or receive the ball once he is no longer departed.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not an issue of not being concerned, the rules are not the same.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
They do concern themselves with it, but it's only penalized if the departed player is the first to touch or receive the ball once he is no longer departed.
Precisely, they deal with it when it has an effect....the way it should be.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not an issue of not being concerned, the rules are not the same.

Peace
In other words, they aren't concerned about it or there would be a rule in place.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
If there was a #7 out there for Louisville the crew was having more problems than we thought.
It looks like Smith, but I'm not enough of a fan to know his number. Maybe he's #1???
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I am not a travel guy and probably would have missed the first travel on the initial rebound by Deng where he split his feet prior to dribbling....the second move he made was a travel as he lost balance and initiated contact....

On this play in retrospect, it would have been nice to get one of those travels, preferably the second one as it was most obvious, then the rest of the play would not have to be officiated.

Travels are hard in the post, especially at L when you are trying to referee contact on the torso's of each player. Sometimes, even a very wide position at L that allows L to see more of play from head to toe does not help because our focus is looking for contact. That is why we all say it is nice for T to help with travels that are obvious and no brainers - not gotchya's.

This play was at C, so while C has a wide angle, he is officiating for contact on the defender. Essentially same principles that apply to L when the play is on his near block.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It looks like Smith, but I'm not enough of a fan to know his number. Maybe he's #1???
The point is, it can't be #7. It's not a legal number in NCAA (and NFHS) rules.