The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Rich, in all honesty I don't start, nor say anything without someone else comment first. If you can show where I started anything I'll gladly apologize.
Isn't it usually the 2nd shove in a scrum that gets the T, or the 15 yards in football?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:19am
beware big brother

As a person who has had many posts edited or removed, I think you guys go way overboard and remove too much stuff.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This is an enormous stretch. To allow you to see that, I invite you to consider exactly the same play without a ball in his hands. He extends his arms, and the defender flinches, or dodges those arms. You calling a foul?
Nobody flinched or dodged anything here. There was contact, it just so happens it was with the ball. Picture it this way. Defender is there all day, stationary, waiting. Dribbler approaches and goes airborne. You are straightlined, directly behind the defender. There is contact and the defender lands flat on his back. You can't see what made the actual contact, an outstretched arm or the ball held in both hands.

I don't see where it makes any difference.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Nobody flinched or dodged anything here. There was contact, it just so happens it was with the ball. Picture it this way. Defender is there all day, stationary, waiting. Dribbler approaches and goes airborne. You are straightlined, directly behind the defender. There is contact and the defender lands flat on his back. You can't see what made the actual contact, an outstretched arm or the ball held in both hands.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am not calling fouls I do not see. If I am straight-lined that is even worse to call something I do not see. Players also flop or exaggerate any contact. Saw this several times this year alone.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
As a person who has had many posts edited or removed, I think you guys go way overboard and remove too much stuff.
Thank you for being a fan of the Official Forum.

Sincerely,
Rich
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am not calling fouls I do not see. If I am straight-lined that is even worse to call something I do not see. Players also flop or exaggerate any contact. Saw this several times this year alone.

Peace
So you're directly behind the defender and you see the offensive player knock him to the floor and land on top, but you make no call because the contact may have been with the ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

Well... there's the rules for one...

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thank you for being a fan of the Official Forum.

Sincerely,
Rich
Classic.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I'm not that good. Sometimes I have to put an educated guess on a play. Especially when I'm working 2-man.

There are times when a player goes to the floor and I'm 95% sure that he was tripped or someone stepped on his heel but I couldn't swear under oath that I *saw* foot touch heel. Hasn't stopped me from putting a whistle on it and I haven't been wrong yet when I have.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Will It Go Round In Circles (Billy Preston) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Well... there's the rules for one...
Hypothetical. For argument sake. A defensive player reaches out and tries to steal the ball from a ball handler but only ends up contacting the ball handler's arm, creating a disadvantage. Foul? Right? Same play and the contact is a big push from behind, creating a disadvantage, but the contact isn't with any "personal" skin on the ball handler, but on his jersey. No "personal" skin to skin contact? No foul? Right? What difference does it make what comes between Brooke Shields and her jeans, or between two players? A jersey? A basketball? Or nothing (skin to skin contact)? Does it, or doesn't it, matter? Does it, or doesn't it, make a difference?

Now let me get my popcorn out of the microwave, so that I can sit back and continue to enjoy this "basketball contact: personal foul, or technical foul" thread, for about the tenth time over the past decade. Maybe we should have a poll? How else will we ever come up with a solid answer without getting any help from the NFHS?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 12:41pm.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hypothetical. For argument sake. A defensive player reaches out and tries to steal the ball from a ball handler but only ends up contacting the ball handler's arm, creating a disadvantage. Foul? Right? Same play and the contact is a big push from behind, creating a disadvantage, but the contact isn't with any "personal" skin on the ball handler, but on his jersey. No "personal" skin to skin contact? No foul? Right? What difference does it make what comes between Brooke Shields and her jeans, or between two players, a jersey, a basketball, or nothing (skin to skin contact)? Does it, or doesn't it, matter, or make a difference?
Seriously Billy? The jersey pushes an opponent?
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Need To Find A Comfortable Seat Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Seriously Billy? The jersey pushes an opponent?
Too quick. My popcorn wasn't ready.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm not that good. Sometimes I have to put an educated guess on a play. Especially when I'm working 2-man.

There are times when a player goes to the floor and I'm 95% sure that he was tripped or someone stepped on his heel but I couldn't swear under oath that I *saw* foot touch heel. Hasn't stopped me from putting a whistle on it and I haven't been wrong yet when I have.
I rarely work 2 man, so this is not much of an issue for me in "real" games. And even when I have worked 2 man, I do everything to get in position. But the situation that JAR describes sounds rather unlikely. I have also seen enough of games where a player acts more like they were contacted and did not get contacted at all. So from the educated guess part, I tend to not "guess" if I did not see anything that looks like contact. If that makes me a bad official then I will just be a bad official. But I like to call what I see, not what I completely guess on. Or I need to move to improve my angles. I do it often, it is not terribly hard and when it becomes very hard I will quit. And I am not saying I am always in the great position, just stating that I do not want to guess. I am like many that kick myself for missing things or not seeing the entire play, but I can tell you when I see myself on tape that is not very common.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Subsequent to Billy Mac's post. Someone grabs a jersey to hold an opponent. Can't call that a personal foul. No contact with the body.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:41pm
We don't rent pigs

I'm not talking about guessing as far as the contact. I'm saying if there is contact and the defender is stationary but you cannot see if the contact was with a hand or the ball in the hand it doesn't matter. The call is the same.

Lonesome Dove