The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Hard contact, no foul... You know what happens next...

Had a MS Boys game a few nights ago. 4th quarter. Blue at the line for a 1-and-1. Free throw comes off the rim, A1 and B1 lined up on opposite sides of the lane both go for the rebound, hard body contact, both go to the floor hard. No call from me in the trail (2-whistle game) and lead has an OOB due to ball being tipped out. I am next to Blue bench with this play, no peep out of that coach, but the White coach is all up in arms about being "over the back".

I tell the coach what both I and my partner had on that play. I saw both players go for the same spot with no pushing with arms or hands, so I have incidental contact. Coach is adamant that there was a foul. I turned to get ready for the throw-in and coach is still rambling. I try to ignore his comments hoping that getting the ball back in will get him back on task. I made it back to my position for the FC throw in (as Blue had the ball for the TI) when I hear the coach yell "THATS CRAP!" Technical #1. Shoot the 2 FTs, Blue ball at the division line, moving on. I am away from the benches for a minute or so of game time until another foul brought me table side.

I am coming down the sideline in front of the White bench when coach starts his comments again. I am ignoring him, when all of a sudden he yells "THIS IS STOVER'S GYM!" Technical #2 and the thumb.

Game ends with no issues. Get back to the AD's office get changed, wait a few for the crowd to clear. THEN go to leave and guess who is in the hallway. Three coaches from the home team. Coach tries to talk to us about the game, I tell them to have a good night. Coach tries to get a comment in, I tell him good night and walk out. Where is security when you need it?

Take away points from this game for me:
1: Know how a player(s) get to the floor. (I knew how they got there so I was 100% sure of my call (or no-call in this case.))
2: Know when to walk away from a coach. (This I have gotten better at.)
3: If an ejected coach is in the path of you leaving, find another path or find the AD/Administration.

Thoughts on anything I could have done better?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you conducted yourself as a professional.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did well.

On occasion. the coach that meets you on your way out is there to apologize for their behavior, not often, but it does happen. Nothing wrong with hearing such a coach out then moving on...but when it is about anything else as you sensed, move right on out the door (as you did).
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
On occasion. the coach that meets you on your way out is there to apologize for their behavior, not often, but it does happen. Nothing wrong with hearing such a coach out then moving on...but when it is about anything else as you sensed, move right on out the door (as you did).
And sometimes a coach will insincerely apologize and then start another rant with a "BUT on that play...". Best to not give an ejected coach the time of day after the game. Sounds like the OP handled it really well.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you handled it well. As others have mentioned sometimes the coach wants to apologize (this actually happened to me with the only coach ejection I've had), but usually is not the case.

The only other thing I might add is to contact your assignor or association to let them know of the coach's behavior (both during and after the game). Our association requires us to inform them of any instances like this (both the ejection and run-in after the game), mainly because they don't want to be hearing about it for the first time when/if the state athletic office calls. Yours was a MS game so it probably won't be of much interest to either the association or state but it's probably worth it to find out how they handle and act accordingly.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, if you have paperwork for your state, it should include the post game incident.

If you don't have paperwork for your state for ejections, you should still call or email them with a report of the post game incident.

If you have an assigner for this game, he/she should get a full report.

Edit: I just realized this was MS boys. I'm going to add that if there is no assigner, then the AD needs to be copied on your report to whatever organization oversees MS basketball in your area (state, conference, UN, whatever). That's obscene behavior for a MS coach.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 01:16pm.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Coach is adamant that there was a foul. I turned to get ready for the throw-in and coach is still rambling. I try to ignore his comments hoping that getting the ball back in will get him back on task. I made it back to my position for the FC throw in (as Blue had the ball for the TI) when I hear the coach yell "THATS CRAP!" Technical #1.
Well done overall. One suggestion: the yelling might have warranted a T all by itself, but the comment might not have. In any case, for this kind of situation, between your conversation and the yelling — during the "rambling" — I might have issued a warning: "Coach, I've heard you, now that's enough."

If he continues, he has violated one of the three P's by Persisting past a warning. That warrants a T.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments. I have always been told, even when you feel you did a good job, always look to improve to get even better.

I did report to assigner and to the state as the HSL is also in charge of MS games. It did include the post-game incident. State requires report by noon next business day for any ejection.

@mbyron On the trip down the floor, I did not say anything to him as I was coming down into the L and was focused on the play coming up court with 2-3 players in the front court and a possible pass. I will keep that in mind to let the coach know that I hear him/her and that it is enough. My reasoning for the T on his comment was for implying that the home gym should get the good calls.

Also, especially having 1 T on him, how long of a leash would you give a coach on comments coming from the seated position?

I agree that some coaches may want to truly apologize for their actions, but one mantra that I have learned during my time is "Nothing good can happen after the final horn." I have learned to after the final horn, make sure your partners have nothing, don't worry about the ball, coaches or other things and get off the court. Check the books in a TO in the last 2 minutes to make sure they are good and give a quick look to the table to get confirmation after the horn.

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions.