The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 09:53pm
Back from the DL

Weird Stuff

A "weird stuff you've seen" thread is showing up on my state's fanboy site. Here are some highlights:

*"It is technically by rule a violation to dribble the ball over the foul line on a foul shot. But it is never called."

(I believe this is false. I believe it's only a violation when a shooter's foot breaks the plane. Confirm/reject?)

*"JV girls game this year an official called disconcertion during a free throw on the home crowd because they were hollering during the free throw. This happened on 2 successive shots before anyone knew what was going on and the official pointed at the crowd. Everyone involved initially thought it was just a lane violation."

(Never have I heard of this.)

*"During a travel team game just today the opposing coach hollered for a time-out after my free throw shooter already had the ball and was into his routine. Shooter missed, violation was called and he received another shot as a result. First time I have ever saw that one happen in a game."

(I can see disconcertion here, though not sure whether I would call it. Anyone?)

*"I saw a ref in a middle school game call a double dribble on a free throw shooter! Beat that!"

(I can't.)
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

1st situation: There's no violation here

2nd: Doesn't shock me that an official would try to pull that stunt in a JV game

3rd: No problem with this being penalized.

4th: Middle school games mean middle school refs a lot of the time...that's all that needs to be said here.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 10:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
1st situation: There's no violation here

2nd: Doesn't shock me that an official would try to pull that stunt in a JV game

3rd: No problem with this being penalized.

4th: Middle school games mean middle school refs a lot of the time...that's all that needs to be said here.
2nd: It does me, but JV takes a little more experience here, normally.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 11:29pm
Back from the DL

One more...

*"(A-1) player goes up for a rebound, tips the ball in, whistle blows... Good basket, foul called on the player who got the tip-in ... and free throws on the other end because both teams were at double-bonus."

Hmm... assuming the foul took place before the ball went in, shouldn't this be a PC? Isn't a tip the same thing as a release?
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
One more...

*"(A-1) player goes up for a rebound, tips the ball in, whistle blows... Good basket, foul called on the player who got the tip-in ... and free throws on the other end because both teams were at double-bonus."

Hmm... assuming the foul took place before the ball went in, shouldn't this be a PC? Isn't a tip the same thing as a release?
Correct enforcement for NCAA Men, if the foul happens after the ball is in flight.
For NCAA Women or NFHS this is a PC foul and no goal, even if the foul occurs after the ball has passed through the basket. See the exception for a dead-ball foul by an airborne shooter.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A "weird stuff you've seen" thread is showing up on my state's fanboy site. Here are some highlights:

*"I saw a ref in a middle school game call a double dribble on a free throw shooter! Beat that!"

(I can't.)
NFHS basketball rules fundamentals #5

Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Correct enforcement for NCAA Men, if the foul happens after the ball is in flight.
For NCAA Women or NFHS this is a PC foul and no goal, even if the foul occurs after the ball has passed through the basket. See the exception for a dead-ball foul by an airborne shooter.
Depends on if the tipper was still airborne or had landed. If they land, they're no longer shooting and it can't be a PC or TC foul. In that case, the shot would count and you'd shoot 1+1 on the other end (assuming they're in the bonus).
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Double Dribble on ft......

That is classic !!!!!
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 12:28pm
Back from the DL

Wait, we may have a winner...

*"At my son's middle school game last year....I saw an official smoking a butt in between the first and second quarter, at half and between the second and third quarter....he had the door open...lol....it was hysterical!"
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 12:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

*"At my son's middle school game last year....I saw an official smoking a butt in between the first and second quarter, at half and between the second and third quarter....he had the door open...lol....it was hysterical!"
By the way, congratulations.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Depends on if the tipper was still airborne or had landed. If they land, they're no longer shooting and it can't be a PC or TC foul. In that case, the shot would count and you'd shoot 1+1 on the other end (assuming they're in the bonus).
True, but most likely any contact after the tapper returns to the floor would be occurring during the dead ball period immediately following the made goal, and thus would be ignored and not a foul by rule.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

What would have been hysterical is if he was booted out. Smoking on school grounds is a prohibited offense down here.