The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Weird Stuff (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94324-weird-stuff.html)

bainsey Sun Mar 10, 2013 09:53pm

Weird Stuff

A "weird stuff you've seen" thread is showing up on my state's fanboy site. Here are some highlights:

*"It is technically by rule a violation to dribble the ball over the foul line on a foul shot. But it is never called."

(I believe this is false. I believe it's only a violation when a shooter's foot breaks the plane. Confirm/reject?)

*"JV girls game this year an official called disconcertion during a free throw on the home crowd because they were hollering during the free throw. This happened on 2 successive shots before anyone knew what was going on and the official pointed at the crowd. Everyone involved initially thought it was just a lane violation."

(Never have I heard of this.)

*"During a travel team game just today the opposing coach hollered for a time-out after my free throw shooter already had the ball and was into his routine. Shooter missed, violation was called and he received another shot as a result. First time I have ever saw that one happen in a game."

(I can see disconcertion here, though not sure whether I would call it. Anyone?)

*"I saw a ref in a middle school game call a double dribble on a free throw shooter! Beat that!"

(I can't.)

APG Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:00pm

1st situation: There's no violation here

2nd: Doesn't shock me that an official would try to pull that stunt in a JV game

3rd: No problem with this being penalized.

4th: Middle school games mean middle school refs a lot of the time...that's all that needs to be said here.

Adam Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 884078)
1st situation: There's no violation here

2nd: Doesn't shock me that an official would try to pull that stunt in a JV game

3rd: No problem with this being penalized.

4th: Middle school games mean middle school refs a lot of the time...that's all that needs to be said here.

2nd: It does me, but JV takes a little more experience here, normally.

bainsey Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29pm

One more...

*"(A-1) player goes up for a rebound, tips the ball in, whistle blows... Good basket, foul called on the player who got the tip-in ... and free throws on the other end because both teams were at double-bonus."

Hmm... assuming the foul took place before the ball went in, shouldn't this be a PC? Isn't a tip the same thing as a release?

Nevadaref Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 884086)
One more...

*"(A-1) player goes up for a rebound, tips the ball in, whistle blows... Good basket, foul called on the player who got the tip-in ... and free throws on the other end because both teams were at double-bonus."

Hmm... assuming the foul took place before the ball went in, shouldn't this be a PC? Isn't a tip the same thing as a release?

Correct enforcement for NCAA Men, if the foul happens after the ball is in flight.
For NCAA Women or NFHS this is a PC foul and no goal, even if the foul occurs after the ball has passed through the basket. See the exception for a dead-ball foul by an airborne shooter.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 884076)
A "weird stuff you've seen" thread is showing up on my state's fanboy site. Here are some highlights:

*"I saw a ref in a middle school game call a double dribble on a free throw shooter! Beat that!"

(I can't.)

NFHS basketball rules fundamentals #5

Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 884086)
One more...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 884088)
Correct enforcement for NCAA Men, if the foul happens after the ball is in flight.
For NCAA Women or NFHS this is a PC foul and no goal, even if the foul occurs after the ball has passed through the basket. See the exception for a dead-ball foul by an airborne shooter.

Depends on if the tipper was still airborne or had landed. If they land, they're no longer shooting and it can't be a PC or TC foul. In that case, the shot would count and you'd shoot 1+1 on the other end (assuming they're in the bonus).

Multiple Sports Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09am

Double Dribble on ft......

That is classic !!!!!

bainsey Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:28pm

Wait, we may have a winner...

*"At my son's middle school game last year....I saw an official smoking a butt in between the first and second quarter, at half and between the second and third quarter....he had the door open...lol....it was hysterical!"

Adam Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 884200)

*"At my son's middle school game last year....I saw an official smoking a butt in between the first and second quarter, at half and between the second and third quarter....he had the door open...lol....it was hysterical!"

By the way, congratulations.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 11, 2013 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 884160)
Depends on if the tipper was still airborne or had landed. If they land, they're no longer shooting and it can't be a PC or TC foul. In that case, the shot would count and you'd shoot 1+1 on the other end (assuming they're in the bonus).

True, but most likely any contact after the tapper returns to the floor would be occurring during the dead ball period immediately following the made goal, and thus would be ignored and not a foul by rule.

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 11, 2013 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 884200)

What would have been hysterical is if he was booted out. Smoking on school grounds is a prohibited offense down here.