The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 05:37pm
Back from the DL

Anyone know how many states have adopted the NFHS instant replay rule in situtations like these?
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 05:42pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Whether or not you don't have replay experience the rule is that the LED lights trumps the horn, unless I misread that rule.

When using replay on clocks with tenths of a second, the reading of zeros is the first thing to look for provided the game clock or time is visible on the replay. The confusion these guys may of had is the super-imposed clock in the bottom left corner which shows the shot to be good. This is not the game clock though. Again, since they probably have little or no experience using replay, they may not be aware that the timer in the corner is not the actual game time, but added by the tv coverage.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Tough spot to be in but that's why they get the "big $$."

Having said that, I was interested in all the people watching the monitor along with the refs. They may not have been sharing opinions with the officials but it did appear the guys in stripes had lots of helpers.

I would like to think the associations would brief the guys on how replay would work if necessary. Not sure about semis but in Iowa replay can be used at the end of the title game, if I remember correctly.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
When using replay on clocks with tenths of a second, the reading of zeros is the first thing to look for provided the game clock or time is visible on the replay. The confusion these guys may of had is the super-imposed clock in the bottom left corner which shows the shot to be good. This is not the game clock though. Again, since they probably have little or no experience using replay, they may not be aware that the timer in the corner is not the actual game time, but added by the tv coverage.
Johnny, irrespective of the game clock and what is visible, and assuming all equipment is working the order of what is used to determine the end of the quarter is LED then horn/game-clock. Once again I could have mistaken what was taught in our association meetings.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 12:00am
beware big brother

Art. 4. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official
courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to
determine whether a try for goal, a shot-clock violation or a foul occurred before or
after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the
officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the
red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be utilized.
When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original
call stands.

This is the replay rule right from the NCAA manual. If I recall correctly the NFHS says nothing other than replay may be used on a state by state basis during the playoffs and offers no further instruction. Until the NFHS or my state offers specific guidelines, I am going to use the college rules if I ever encounter this situation.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Art. 4. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official
courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to
determine whether a try for goal, a shot-clock violation or a foul occurred before or
after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the
officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the
red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be utilized.
When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original
call stands.
Thanks for that.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Here's the NFHS rule

NFHS 2-2-1 NOTE
A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal.

NFHS 1-14
A red light behind each backboard or an LED light on each backboard is permitted to signal that time has expired for a quarter or extra period. In facilities without a red light behind or an LED light on each backboard, the audible timer's signal shall indicate that time has expired.

NFHS 5-6-2
Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal illuminates or sounds indicating time has expired, as in 1-14.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 01:15pm
beware big brother

Looks like the NFHS rule regarding replay is the same as college. Use the actual game clock and look for triple 0.