The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Another buzzer beater?

Discussion of buzzer beaters today brought this back to memory from last years Nebraska D2 State Championship game. Looks to be shot after the light, but was counted. I'm not sure the officials had the same replay freezeframe the tv audience had and from the screen they appeared to looking at it was probably a tougher call.

Jump to 2:20 for the shot.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

It was late. It should not have counted. Not sure how they counted that shot honestly.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have to assume they didn't get the same views that we did (which I'd have to ask why if that was the case) cause that was clearly late.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I have to assume they didn't get the same views that we did (which I'd have to ask why if that was the case) cause that was clearly late.
They are usually dependent on the TV feed.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

The official that signaled it after they went to the monitor looked like Richard Nixon with the two fingered signal. Then I think he thought the game was over because he started running off the court. I am with Rut....I don't know how you count that after watching the replay. It was pretty conclusive.

The White team's coach looks like he's going to prom too.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

this wasn't even close IMO.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They are usually dependent on the TV feed.

Peace
Exactly...so I'm not sure what the issue is here. That's clearly and obviously a late shot and was so evidently late that I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the 3 officials there and hope they didn't get the same views somehow.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

It's also possible they looked at the TV clock instead of looking at the LED lights/game clock and based their decision off of that.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:24pm
beware big brother

Quote:
It's also possible they looked at the TV clock instead of looking at the LED lights/game clock and based their decision off of that.

This is probably what happened. These officials have probably never used replay before in their careers and are therefore in a bad spot because they are probably unfamiliar with the rules and practical application of using replay to make these types of calls. This situation reminds me of the states that use 2-man throughout the regular season and maybe the beginning of the playoffs, and then switch to 3-man and expect the officials to be experts at the system. It is really kind of ridiculous to expect officials who never use replay system to all of a sudden be thrown into a situation where they have replay available and expect them to completely understand how to use it.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is probably what happened. These officials have probably never used replay before in their careers and are therefore in a bad spot because they are probably unfamiliar with the rules and practical application of using replay to make these types of calls. This situation reminds me of the states that use 2-man throughout the regular season and maybe the beginning of the playoffs, and then switch to 3-man and expect the officials to be experts at the system. It is really kind of ridiculous to expect officials who never use replay system to all of a sudden be thrown into a situation where they have replay available and expect them to completely understand how to use it.
Whether or not you don't have replay experience the rule is that the LED lights trumps the horn, unless I misread that rule.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Whether or not you don't have replay experience the rule is that the LED lights trumps the horn, unless I misread that rule.
That also might be something you want to review when you are working a situation where a LED light might come into play.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

No good-not even close.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:07pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
No good-not even close.
??? Not good. OK. But "Not even close"? I beg to differ. Razor thin in real time...and in slow mo replay.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
APG, I apologize for (almost) everything I said in the other thread. I honestly didn't know there was that much of a discrepancy between clocks in an arena.

FWIW, I know TV shoots the scoreboard so they can make sure they have the score right. I can see someone thinking "why set up the shot clock camera, the clock's on the scoreboard?" for a HS game. Not that I do a lot of games, but I will advocate for using the clock above the backboard for any games I work.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
??? Not good. OK. But "Not even close"? I beg to differ. Razor thin in real time...and in slow mo replay.
In real time, can see why they'd have counted it (I didn't when I first saw it but that's beside the point). On replay? It wasn't even close...not even a little bit (which is what I'm assuming SCal was referring to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
APG, I apologize for (almost) everything I said in the other thread. I honestly didn't know there was that much of a discrepancy between clocks in an arena.

FWIW, I know TV shoots the scoreboard so they can make sure they have the score right. I can see someone thinking "why set up the shot clock camera, the clock's on the scoreboard?" for a HS game. Not that I do a lot of games, but I will advocate for using the clock above the backboard for any games I work.
No need to apologize.