The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...I believe that came from a different thread...but who doesn't AGREE with that statement?
A poster named shades most definitely doesn't agree with it.

And I think it would apply to these parts of the conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What the hell is rabbit ears anyway?

So if I say something I am overheard, then I should expect someone to simply ignore their comments? There is a reason even in a locker room you are careful to what you say. If someone hears you say something, they will respond or take action. We really need to get rid of that way of thinking that anything can be said and it should be ignored if not said so everyone can hear it.

I know a coach would write us up if we were in the middle of the court and we were talking in a derogatory matter about a player or coach and then used the "rabbit" ears excuse as our defense for being unprofessional.

Peace

Quote:

The point is...you don't have to HEAR everything! A lot of this means not to pay much attention to what the CROWD is saying...

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 02:32pm.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow...I really do like this!!!

...can I borrow this from you?
It's advice I've received from more experienced officials, assignors and have read on this forum in the past. And, it's served me VERY well over the years because the walls have ears. I've never had anything come back to me, which means I'm smart or incredibly lucky. Hopefully, both.

So, run with it!
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They do not overlook the fact we might have said something. I have known officials to be accused of things they did not even say, but someone overheard part of the conversation and started making accusation. Oh well, what do we know?

Peace
I hear you, Rut.

I'm very sensitive to how coaches, players and fans perceive me when I'm working. For instance, I was working a GV game a couple weeks ago in which the A1 was absolutely obliterating B1 in a mid season non game.

B1's first year head coach told me in pre game (in this game and in the first game I had with him earlier this season) that his team was basically going to play "shiddy" that night even though they had made some improvements the last month and a half.

I told him we officials would work hard as always and would be available to answer questions as always, then moved on.

During a late 4th qtr full TO, I'm chatting for a quick second with a partner about finishing the game strong - protecting shooters, rewarding the defense, reviewing team fouls, etc. - and partner says something hilarious. Probably ripping on me for something non game related, who knows.

I immediately thought "this coach or players may see us cutting up and assume we aren't taking the game seriously". So, I toned it down quick and we moved on.

Just have to do stuff with tact and be professional (not that we can't smile or even laugh occassionally). I believe it serves us well.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not care what coaches or players think of me honestly. I do things professionally so that no one can say anything I did out of bounds. That being said I like to laugh and have fun. Of course you do not have to go over board with anything, but if a coach says something to me I might laugh if he is being funny on purpose. I like to smile about a lot of things. After all this game is supposed to be fun.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not care what coaches or players think of me honestly. I do things professionally so that no one can say anything I did out of bounds. That being said I like to laugh and have fun. Of course you do not have to go over board with anything, but if a coach says something to me I might laugh if he is being funny on purpose. I like to smile about a lot of things. After all this game is supposed to be fun.

Peace
No doubt.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
All this doesn't change my sentiment that coaches don't get to loudly say whatever they want just because they were "talking to their team/bench/player/coach".
I agree with this but the larger point I take from this particular thread is that you either address inappropriate comments with a T or a warning or you can choose to ignore it if you see fit.

What I would not do is ask a coach to repeat what they said or ask them what they said if I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Exactly.

We are to act and be professional even when everyone else in the venue is not acting professional. That includes checking what comes out of our mouths in the form of words (includes eye rolling and sarcastic/baiting body language).
Well said.

And being professional IMO does not include questions like, "what did you say," or "care to repeat that." That's unprofessional IMO and even if it isn't necessarily baiting it easily gives the appearance of baiting. And as we all know in this advocation, appearance matters.