View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They do not overlook the fact we might have said something. I have known officials to be accused of things they did not even say, but someone overheard part of the conversation and started making accusation. Oh well, what do we know?

Peace
I hear you, Rut.

I'm very sensitive to how coaches, players and fans perceive me when I'm working. For instance, I was working a GV game a couple weeks ago in which the A1 was absolutely obliterating B1 in a mid season non game.

B1's first year head coach told me in pre game (in this game and in the first game I had with him earlier this season) that his team was basically going to play "shiddy" that night even though they had made some improvements the last month and a half.

I told him we officials would work hard as always and would be available to answer questions as always, then moved on.

During a late 4th qtr full TO, I'm chatting for a quick second with a partner about finishing the game strong - protecting shooters, rewarding the defense, reviewing team fouls, etc. - and partner says something hilarious. Probably ripping on me for something non game related, who knows.

I immediately thought "this coach or players may see us cutting up and assume we aren't taking the game seriously". So, I toned it down quick and we moved on.

Just have to do stuff with tact and be professional (not that we can't smile or even laugh occassionally). I believe it serves us well.