The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

T for pregame warmups?

I know this varies based on the state/area, but I can't find anything in my state's guidelines about this.

Last night, MS boys. We've just finished the girls game (a thrilling, 16-10 barn-burner) and the boys' teams are about to come on the court for warmups. Locker rooms are opposite end of floor from where each team should be warming up. Visitors run out first, with half going under the basket and up one sideline, the other half down the other sideline.

My partner - who designated himself as the R for both games - leans over and says, with a big grin on his face, "Oh, I'm getting them for that. That's a technical foul." I responded that I didn't think so, since the home team wasn't out there yet and there couldn't have possibly been any sort of unsportsmanlike conduct aspect to it. He continued to insist on calling it. I continued to try to talk him out of it.

Well, he ends up calling it anyway. And then he also insists - despite my objections - to making both teams line up for the jump ball, pointing toward each goal ("blue this way, white this way"), and THEN signalling for the technical foul. We shot the FTs, gave A the ball, and away we went.

At that point, I was in straight-up GIGDGO mode. Anything I could have done differently?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
I know this varies based on the state/area, but I can't find anything in my state's guidelines about this.

Last night, MS boys. We've just finished the girls game (a thrilling, 16-10 barn-burner) and the boys' teams are about to come on the court for warmups. Locker rooms are opposite end of floor from where each team should be warming up. Visitors run out first, with half going under the basket and up one sideline, the other half down the other sideline.

My partner - who designated himself as the R for both games - leans over and says, with a big grin on his face, "Oh, I'm getting them for that. That's a technical foul." I responded that I didn't think so, since the home team wasn't out there yet and there couldn't have possibly been any sort of unsportsmanlike conduct aspect to it. He continued to insist on calling it. I continued to try to talk him out of it.

Well, he ends up calling it anyway. And then he also insists - despite my objections - to making both teams line up for the jump ball, pointing toward each goal ("blue this way, white this way"), and THEN signalling for the technical foul. We shot the FTs, gave A the ball, and away we went.

At that point, I was in straight-up GIGDGO mode. Anything I could have done differently?
You could have volunteered to be the R.

Maybe there was time to look this up before the game.

Certainly there was time it look it up and / or write "your organization" for confirmation after the game.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:53am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
Anything I could have done differently?
You could have found any reason to leave prior to the FTs for the T. Any reason. Think creative. Dead relative, car alarm going off, sudden erectile dysfunction, tornado warning, dizziness, whole-body convulsions, voices in your head, throw up . . . anything.

So how'd the rest of the game go? Or did you actually leave early?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:59am
Huck Finn

We handle this a little differently. You and your partner were on the court and that is a good thing. We used to have a problem with exchanging pleasantries with the crew that just finished in our dressing area which resulted in us not being on the court when the teams came out. Since you were both on the court, I would probably either 1) not do anything because the other team was not there and tell the coach afterwards or 2) physically stand in their way and tell them to take a different path.

Having them line up as normal and then call the T is puzzling to me. On a side note, I hate the ceremonial "white, blue" while pointing right before tossing the ball. The teams should have warmed up on the proper ends of the court and two or three officials should be looking to see if they are lined up correctly. The only way I'm going to yell colors ever again is if I will lose games for not doing it. Even then, it would depend on what games those are. But I digress.

It sounds like you made it out alive and with all of your faculties. It seems like you were aware of the BS going on, stated your case and got on with it. Sometimes, that is the best you can do.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
We handle this a little differently. You and your partner were on the court and that is a good thing. We used to have a problem with exchanging pleasantries with the crew that just finished in our dressing area which resulted in us not being on the court when the teams came out. Since you were both on the court, I would probably either 1) not do anything because the other team was not there and tell the coach afterwards or 2) physically stand in their way and tell them to take a different path.

Having them line up as normal and then call the T is puzzling to me. On a side note, I hate the ceremonial "white, blue" while pointing right before tossing the ball. The teams should have warmed up on the proper ends of the court and two or three officials should be looking to see if they are lined up correctly. The only way I'm going to yell colors ever again is if I will lose games for not doing it. Even then, it would depend on what games those are. But I digress.

It sounds like you made it out alive and with all of your faculties. It seems like you were aware of the BS going on, stated your case and got on with it. Sometimes, that is the best you can do.
I had a partner recently that pointed each direction and announced which way the teams were going before tossing the ball. He also had a captain's meeting that was about a minute and a half long that included "We'll try to talk you out of fouls", "We want to keep you in the game", "Play defense with your feet", "We'll talk you out of three seconds"...and on and on.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like not only an OOO, but one who took pleasure in being That Guy.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I had a partner recently that pointed each direction and announced which way the teams were going before tossing the ball. He also had a captain's meeting that was about a minute and a half long that included "We'll try to talk you out of fouls", "We want to keep you in the game", "Play defense with your feet", "We'll talk you out of three seconds"...and on and on.
We had a new third a few weeks ago and I think he was absolutely stunned at my 11 second long captains meeting. I was already at the table before he knew what had hit him.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
I had a partner recently that pointed each direction and announced which way the teams were going before tossing the ball.

And what is wrong with what your partner did?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You could have volunteered to be the R.

Maybe there was time to look this up before the game.

Certainly there was time it look it up and / or write "your organization" for confirmation after the game.
Possibly. I could see calling a 'T' if the other team was already on the floor and there was taunting or some other unsportsmanlike conduct. I tried looking it up after I got home last night, but couldn't find anything in the 2012-13 rule book, case book or state officials' manual (Alabama prints its own manual, which is about 95% plagiarized from the NFHS manual with a few state-specific rules/mechanics sprinkled in). In reading some archived threads on this board, I see that this situation was a POE either last year or at some point in past years, but I see nothing in this year's rule book that prescribes a penalty for it.

And next time I'm with this guy, I'm just going to be the R, no questions asked. This is my first year in this area and with this association, and I'm quickly finding out which officials only get assigned to work middle school games. He's one of them, and it's pretty obvious why.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
Nothing was inherently wrong with it, but not many people do it around here. Like tomegun said above, I'm not doing it unless it causes me to lose games.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
It's completely unnecessary. Maybe at lower levels it's helpful, but I'm not doing that at a varsity game. The teams are already lined up the right way, after all.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:52pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's completely unnecessary. Maybe at lower levels it's helpful, but I'm not doing that at a varsity game. The teams are already lined up the right way, after all.
Yea, I mean it isn't like some college officials recently let teams go the wrong direction in an overtime jump ball.

Maybe if they would have pointed and said it out loud, the mistake would have been noticed.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are many things I would consider completely unnecessary that we still do. I do this for all games I do including varsity and JUCO and never really knew it bothered some people.

I do it more as a formality. I don't say "going this way....." but simply white and point one direction then blue and point the other. Again more as a formality but it can also clarify what we are going to call teams with two syllable colors that night as I'm a one syllable guy. So it let's everyone know that orange is red tonight or purple is blue tonight, etc.

Not a big deal to me either way but in the OPs case of beginning the game with a T its absolutely absurd to still have them line up and do this.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We've had discussions in our local meetings about trying to keep the pre-game conference as short as possible. Yet there are still a few officials that insist on asking for "speaking captains" and "make sure you come to the X to check in, or we'll call a technical foul" and things like that. (My partner last night was one of these.)

I try to keep it to 20 seconds or less. Are players properly equipped, we want to encourage good sportsmanship, any questions. Done. There's no need for any more than that.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

frankly, I wish we'd eliminate the captain's meeting altogether, just seems pointless and nothing that isn't already covered by the coach introduction