The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hello,
I'm a HS basketball player so I may not be welcome here but I was wondering...what is the rule re: dunking in warmups? I always thought it was strictly forbidden, but then someone told me you can dunk as long as you do not touch the rim...can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Of course your welcome here: official bashing and such is not but any time you have a sincere question about the mechanics we use or a rules question your more than welcome. An actual players prespective would be appreciate im sure.

Dunking in pre-game warm ups is 100% against the rules when the officials are PRESENT on the court. If you have 30 min on the clock and they're are no officials you could get away with dunking... When the officials get on the court (usualy 20-15 min before tip) It becomes illegal.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, ace...I suppose it depends on an official's definition of a "dunk". Our coach tells us no hands above the rim during warmups to be on the safe side, but I've seen opponents "throw down" the ball with touching the rim with officials present and no action was taken...
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome Player, you can learn a lot if you come to this board, read, and ask questions. There are officials, coaches, and players that frequent this board.

As for dunking durring warm-ups...DON'T DO IT!
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
As for dunking durring warm-ups...DON'T DO IT!
Sound advice that I'll remember.

Another question that popped into my head stemming from a conversation I had with one of our asst. coaches...he said that we would risk getting T'ed up if I was to "pat down" a starter in pre-game introductions...would this merit a technical foul (for taunting, I assume)? Seems a little strict to me...
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 03:17pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by hsbasketballplayer
...he said that we would risk getting T'ed up if I was to "pat down" a starter in pre-game introductions...would this merit a technical foul (for taunting, I assume)? Seems a little strict to me...
I may be the only one here who doesn't, but I don't even know what you mean by "pat down," so perhaps you could explain further. On the subject of the pregame dunk, this is one of those situations that I have dared to dream about.
A coach that gives you problems every time you meet has three players in a row dunk the ball in warmups. You stroll calmly over to the coach (smile if you want) and say
"Boy, coach, I sure admire the hops on some of your guys, that's very impressive. Now, by the way, we start the game with 3 T's, one on each guy, and, one more thing, you have to leave."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

"Patting down" as a security guard would do checking for weapons
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks, ace...I suppose it depends on an official's definition of a "dunk". Our coach tells us no hands above the rim during warmups to be on the safe side, but I've seen opponents "throw down" the ball with touching the rim with officials present and no action was taken...
Officials don't have their own definition of a "dunk". The rule book gives the officials a standard definition of what a dunk is. It doesn't matter if you touch the rim or not. If you "throw down" the ball, it's a dunk, by rule. The officials should never ignore it if they see it- it's a T with no warning.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 6th, 2003 at 02:39 PM]
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another question that popped into my head stemming from a conversation I had with one of our asst. coaches...he said that we would risk getting T'ed up if I was to "pat down" a starter in pre-game introductions...would this merit a technical foul (for taunting, I assume)? Seems a little strict to me... [/B]

I can't find a specific rule regarding the "pat down". As long as it is not an "in your face" type taunting situation...I guess I would have to be there.

The key here is that your coach is asking you not to do something silly that might earn you a Tech. Let your play make the statement to your opponent! Nothing says "Scoreboard!" like...well, the scoreboard.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
"Patting down" as a security guard would do checking for weapons
To make JAR feel better, I had no idea what he was talking about either. Now two questions:

When would you think about doing this? Captains meeting? When you're lined up for free throws?

Why would you think about doing this? What do you think it would accomplish? Just seems downright odd to me
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

We had discussed using the "pat down" method during the pregame starter introductions for a star player, or after a dunk...
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had discussed using the "pat down" method during the pregame starter introductions for a star player, or after a dunk...
After a dunk would get you a T and possibly an ejection.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
On your teammate, as he comes out for intros? Or on an opponent as he comes over to shake your hand?
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

On a teammate in intros...
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 06:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Angry

I definitely wouldn't T you for it, because I still don't understand it.

Lonesome Dove