The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:30pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
Yet there are still a few officials that insist on asking for "speaking captains" ...
I ask for speaking captains, but I ask what their names are. I'm sure there are other threads discussing using names and this is something I do. In my experience, using a player's name makes communication better.

The only thing I say other than that is about sportsmanship - their first warning.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Tonight We're Gonna Play the Black Line All the Way Around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I ask for speaking captains . . .
This fosters something not valid: "Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain" (3-1-1).
When each team ceremonial lines up the usual three or four or five players for that all-important pre-game meeting, just ask, "Which of you is the captain?" A player from each team formerly known as "Speaking Captain" will pull up his warmup and show you his number.
Works here.

Unless one is worried about hurting feelings or something. Then do what seems most emotionally beneficial.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:57pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This fosters something not valid: "Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain" (3-1-1).
When each team ceremonial lines up the usual three or four or five players for that all-important pre-game meeting, just ask, "Which of you is the captain?" A player from each team formerly known as "Speaking Captain" will pull up his warmup and show you his number.
Works here.

Unless one is worried about hurting feelings or something. Then do what seems most emotionally beneficial.
So does that mean we are wrong when we ask for captains to meet at half court? I really just want to know someone's name if I need it. I only ask for one because I can only remember so much.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So does that mean we are wrong when we ask for captains to meet at half court? I really just want to know someone's name if I need it. I only ask for one because I can only remember so much.
I don't even remember who the captains are a good majority of the time. But I do what is expected which is to ask for a "speaking" captain at the time of the meeting.

Once the game starts I'm usually gonna talk to the PG or the obvious superstar if I need help with another player, which is rare. I normally just address problem players directly and do it in an a-hole manner.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:49pm
This IS My Social Life

"Hi, I'm the Captain, this is Tennille"

Quote:
...wrong when we ask for captains to meet at half court?
When I'm U1 or U2 I ask one of the players warming up to "Can you get me a captain, please." Alas and inevitably, three or four or five or however many players step toward the middle of the court. Heck, they can bring the whole darn team if they want. Make it one big lovable Kumbaya moment and exchange hugs and emails, whatever.
Regardless, there's still only one player who is "captain."

No biggie. I'm not gonna give you a hard time for asking for your "speaking captain." When in Rome.

But here in our Rome I make fun of those who do so that they stop it.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I normally just address problem players directly and do it in an a-hole manner.
Nice to know I'm doing something right.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's completely unnecessary. Maybe at lower levels it's helpful, but I'm not doing that at a varsity game. The teams are already lined up the right way, after all.
Ask the guys who officiated the Connecticut Marquette game a few weeks ago if it's completely unnecessary.

Speaking captain? What's your number (if covered with warmup jersey)? Are you starting?

Note: I hate working with this guy.

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Nothing was inherently wrong with it.
When I'm the referee (and tossing), I perform the same routine at the start of every single game, from a Catholic middle school "junior varsity" game, up to a high school varsity game:

I look to the bench to my left, note, and state, the color, make sure the jumper to my left is the same color, and point to my right. Then I look to the bench on my right, note, and state, the color, make sure the jumper to my right is the same color, and point to my left.

Every single game, every single time.

I'm probably going to screw up a call, or a few calls, or a lot of calls, in that game, but I'm definitely not going to start the players going in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Locker rooms are opposite end of floor from where each team should be warming up. Visitors run out first, with half going under the basket and up one sideline, the other half down the other sideline.
2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to
be concerned about the following behaviors:

A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest
should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under
the basket where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, jog
or warm-up on their own half of the court. Gatherings intended to
motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player
introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area
directly in front of the team bench. If during the pregame or half-time
warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team should not use
the entire court; teams should only warm-up on their half of the court.
Only authorized personnel should be permitted on the floor. All spectators
should be in designated areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
You could have found any reason to leave prior to the FTs for the T. Any reason. Think creative.
Ran out of gas. Had a flat tire. Didn't have enough money for cab fare. Tux didn't come back from the cleaners. Old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!

Quote:
Are players properly equipped, we want to encourage good sportsmanship.
Do players know how to wear their uniforms properly?

2-4-5: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team
member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that
all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:50pm
Medium Kahuna

7 in a row? Really, Billy?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
he also insists - despite my objections - to making both teams line up for the jump ball, pointing toward each goal ("blue this way, white this way"), and THEN signalling for the technical foul.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wow.

Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have a ten second captain meeting. I don't ask for speaking captains, but I do announce direction and color before my toss.

Tonight, however, I skipped that part in my girls JV game. Everything went fine, except the visitors spotted the home team 57 points before finishing strong to lose 57-1.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Closer To Becoming An Esteemed Forum Member ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
7 in a row? Really, Billy?
Wow. I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. Is this a new Forum record? Has anyone contacted the Guinness World Record people? I'm open to sign any "tastefull" endorsement deals. It took me twenty-seven minutes to post all seven. Does that count against me?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Pointing directions saved me from having the teams go the wrong direction for OT in a game just two weeks ago. I'm not sure if I would have caught it otherwise.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Pointing directions saved me from having the teams go the wrong direction for OT in a game just two weeks ago. I'm not sure if I would have caught it otherwise.
Overtime is, I think, far more prone to this screw up.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

dont do that, I would tell him "there is no way were going to call that"
he can go over and tell the coach to please not do that again and we move on
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:43am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Wow. I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. Is this a new Forum record? Has anyone contacted the Guinness World Record people? I'm open to sign any "tastefull" endorsement deals. It took me twenty-seven minutes to post all seven. Does that count against me?
Billy there is a way to group all of your quotes into one posts, it's the multi-quote feature.

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 09:45am.