The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:36am
We don't rent pigs

Anybody ever see/call a foul after the horn committed against a player other that the shooter?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

just another ref Anybody ever see/call a foul after the horn committed against a player other that the shooter?

Yup. Was working a game VG (2 man) earlier this year. End of regulation. Visitors make a free throw with 2 seconds left. To go up 2. Home team has already had their last time out, steps out of bounds scrambling to set a desperation play. Throws a half court pass to a healvily denied player at half moving away from Visitor goal. She catches and can barely maintain balance, no chance she's going to gather and heave in time. Home team defender bodies up and the home player goes down because of her lack of balance combined with the contact. Whistle blows, horn goes. We are in the penalty and home is shooting two with no time on the clock.

Home kid makes both and sends it to OT. They lost in double in OT.

SO not to hijack the OP, but if the foul is a DQ foul (5th, etc) can the coach get his/her 30 seconds before the free throw shooter takes shots?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
just another ref Anybody ever see/call a foul after the horn committed against a player other that the shooter?

Yup. Was working a game VG (2 man) earlier this year. End of regulation. Visitors make a free throw with 2 seconds left. To go up 2. Home team has already had their last time out, steps out of bounds scrambling to set a desperation play. Throws a half court pass to a healvily denied player at half moving away from Visitor goal. She catches and can barely maintain balance, no chance she's going to gather and heave in time. Home team defender bodies up and the home player goes down because of her lack of balance combined with the contact. Whistle blows, horn goes. We are in the penalty and home is shooting two with no time on the clock.

SO not to hijack the OP, but if the foul is a DQ foul (5th, etc) can the coach get his/her 30 seconds before the free throw shooter takes shots?
30 seconds? Try again.

Based on the description, it's unlikely I'd be bailing the home team out with a foul.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

This was not a foul after the horn.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:37pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Anybody ever see/call a foul after the horn committed against a player other that the shooter?
Yep.

Technical fouls on coaches.

Also had a T on a player after the horn sounded to end the game because he threw the ball at an opponent. Opponent made both free throws and sent it to
OT.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:41pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

No. But he can have 20 seconds
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Possibility?!

Couldn't a player take a last second shot 35 feet from the basket with .4 tenth of second remaining get fouled and miss the shot. He is entitled to the free throws although time has expires. IMO.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:52pm
NFHS Official

Had this last night. Game tied, A1 drives the lane, misses, A2 gets rebound goes up and gets hammered. Partner who is lead has a foul, almost at the same time as the horn going off. 00 on the clock, we clear the lane, makes first free throw. Game over.

I saw attempt, heard whistle, heard horn. No way of knowing how much time to put back on, if any.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhi1 View Post
Couldn't a player take a last second shot 35 feet from the basket with .4 tenth of second remaining get fouled and miss the shot. He is entitled to the free throws although time has expires. IMO.
correct

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Had this last night. Game tied, A1 drives the lane, misses, A2 gets rebound goes up and gets hammered. Partner who is lead has a foul, almost at the same time as the horn going off. 00 on the clock, we clear the lane, makes first free throw. Game over.

I saw attempt, heard whistle, heard horn. No way of knowing how much time to put back on, if any.
The actual timing of the whistle in relation to the horn doesn't matter.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 03:09pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The actual timing of the whistle in relation to the horn doesn't matter.
Correct. Just saying it was that close, the horn and whistle were almost simultaneous, and that I was not even thinking of putting time back on.