The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Free Throws with 0.00 showing on the clock...

I had always thought that you had to have time on the clock when shooting free throws but I was proven wrong this weekend.

Sequence:

- A1 is in the act of shooting.
- Releases shot.
- Time expires and horn sounds.
- Before shooter returns to floor B1 fouls A1.

Ruling: Free throws are awarded with 0.00 on the clock. (If at the end of the game then free throws are shot only if it can affect the outcome.)

2nd Sequence:I have always thought of this sequence which caused me to think that there had to be time on the clock if shooting free throws:

- B1 Fouls A1.
- A split second later time expires and the horn sounds.
- A1 releases shot and it goes in.

Ruling: Count the basket. Put time back on the clock (0.1 seconds if its so close you aren't sure). Shoot 1 free throw.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:14am
Esteemed Participant

Do you have a rules reference for that second situation????
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
2nd Sequence:I have always thought of this sequence which caused me to think that there had to be time on the clock if shooting free throws:

- B1 Fouls A1.
- A split second later time expires and the horn sounds.
- A1 releases shot and it goes in.

Ruling: Count the basket. Put time back on the clock (0.1 seconds if its so close you aren't sure). Shoot 1 free throw.
You may want to check this one out. It's wrong.

- if the ball is still in A1's hands when the horn goes to end a period, the ball is dead. No basket.
- A1 will shoot 2 FT's with the lanes cleared.
-There is no time put back on the clock.

The NCAA cite is rule 5-7-3(c) and AR121. NFHS rule is 6-7-7EXCEPTION.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jun 25, 2007 at 10:21am.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:31am
Esteemed Participant

I didn't ask you, ya old poop!!
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You may want to check this one out. It's wrong.

- if the ball is still in A1's hands when the horn goes to end a period, the ball is dead. No basket.
- A1 will shoot 2 FT's with the lanes cleared.
-There is no time put back on the clock.

The NCAA cite is rule 5-7-3(c) and AR121. NFHS rule is 6-7-7EXCEPTION.
I removed the extra parts of A.R.121 to make it easier to read.

Quote:
A.R. 121. With the score tied near the expiration of time in the second half shooter A1 is fouled in the act of shooting but time expires before the release of the ball
RULING: A1’s try shall be disallowed since it was not released before time expired. A1 shall attempt two free throws since the foul was committed before the expiration of time. When one free throw is successful, the game is over. When both free throws are unsuccessful, the game continues with an extra period(s).
Quote:
SECTION 7 DEAD BALL
The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 7 . . . A foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs (see exceptions a, b and c below).
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.
b. Article 5 or 7 occurs while a try for a free throw is in flight.
c. Article 7 occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player's hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.
WOW, I'm not following the logic of these rulings. Please help me to understand.

This is the way I see it.

The timer should have stopped the clock when the foul occured so time would never have expired. We have definite knowledge that the foul occured before the horn. So we have definite knowledge that at least .01 seconds should be put on the clock. Why would we not put .01 on the clock, count the basket and shoot 1 free throw??
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:51am
Esteemed Participant

I guess I'm not following your logic...if the shot is not released before the horn, it can't count. Period. If you are trying to play the "put a split second back on the clock" game - don't...if the horn is that close to the whistle for the foul, don't try to mess around with it.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I guess I'm not following your logic...if the shot is not released before the horn, it can't count. Period. If you are trying to play the "put a split second back on the clock" game - don't...if the horn is that close to the whistle for the foul, don't try to mess around with it.
If the shot is not released before the horn BUT there is a foul before the horn then the shot should count because the clock should have stopped with the horn.

If a foul took place (in this situation with the ball in the hands of the airborne shooter) then there has to be time on the clock because if the foul occured at 00.0 then it would have to be intentional or flagarant in order for there to be free throws.

I'm not trying to mess around with it. I was suprised by the rules and case plays that JR produced. I'm trying to understand why we would not put time back on the clock and count the basket. Hasn't this been discussed before? I tried searching the archives but couldn't find it.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

if you have definite knowledge of how much time should be put back on the clock, then you can put it back on, count the basket, and shoot the appropriate free throws. Time hasn't expired, so you that's why you can count the basket. If you don't have definite knowledge, then you can't count the bucket since time officially expired prior to the release of the shot. Shoot the appropriate free throws with no time on the clock.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
if you have definite knowledge of how much time should be put back on the clock, then you can put it back on, count the basket, and shoot the appropriate free throws. Time hasn't expired, so you that's why you can count the basket.
Say what?

No, you can't count the basket and put time back on the clock. The horn went and the period ended with the ball still in the shooter's hands. The rules that I cited say that you can't adjust anything. AAMOF the NCAA AR couldn't be more explicit.

You and All_Heart are confusing a timing "mistake" with normal reaction time to stop the clock. The rules allow you to correct a mistake. This isn't a mistake. The clock was stopped properly.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

JR, with the removal of the lag-time restriction on fixing timing errors, you absolutely can put time back on the clock and count the bucket. The caveat is simple, you must have definite knowledge of how much time to put back on.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR, with the removal of the lag-time restriction on fixing timing errors, you absolutely can put time back on the clock and count the bucket. The caveat is simple, you must have definite knowledge of how much time to put back on.
What timing error?

In this play, the timer stopped the clock properly as soon as he recognized the foul call. While stopping the clock, time ran out and the horn ended the period. There's no timing error to correct.

If you blow your whistle for a second, do you think that you should put a second back on the clock to account for the time between the beginning and end of your whistle blow? Don't think so. It's not practical.

You fix errors. This isn't an error.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jun 25, 2007 at 01:35pm.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Then why bother removing "lag time?"
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Then why bother removing "lag time?"
They're taking the guesswork out of clock adjustment when the timer makes an "error"--i.e. they're slow stopping the clock or sumthin' like that. Stopping the clock normally will always have a few tenths different from the start of the whistle to the stop. That's why the NCAA AR is written the way it is, with no time adjustment.

There is nothing in the OP that suggests a timing error occurring.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
One of your better contributions.....