The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:02am
Often wrong never n doubt

When to shoot technical freethrows?

Score is tied at 60. The horn goes off to end the 4th quarter and the ball becomes dead. Coach A for some unknown reason decides now is the time to get a technical foul. 5.6b states that since the score is tied we shoot the freethrows as part of the 4th quarter. We also do this if the score isn't tied as long as the freethrows can change the outcome of the game. At what point would the technical no longer be considered a part of the 4th quarter and would be considered part of overtime? Is it after the ball it tipped in the jump ball to start overtime?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Score is tied at 60. The horn goes off to end the 4th quarter and the ball becomes dead. Coach A for some unknown reason decides now is the time to get a technical foul. 5.6b states that since the score is tied we shoot the freethrows as part of the 4th quarter. We also do this if the score isn't tied as long as the freethrows can change the outcome of the game. At what point would the technical no longer be considered a part of the 4th quarter and would be considered part of overtime? Is it after the ball it tipped in the jump ball to start overtime?
It's after the 4th quarter ends. Sounds to me like it did. start the OT with the FTs for the T.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:09am
#thereferee99

Score tied: the quarter has ended.

Coach's actions and the technical will be a part of the subsequent extra period.

If the score were not tied and the free-throws could have an impact, they are part of the fourth quarter.

To answer your question specifically, when the horn sounds with the score tied.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:18am
NFHS Official

Overtime. Team B shoots 2 free throws, gets ball. Arrow set to A. Overtime starts when the horn goes off and ball is dead.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:18am
TODO: creative title here

If B is down by more than 2 points, game over, do not administer free throws (unless there are multiple Ts to administer FTs for, the sum of which could cause the outcome of the game to change).

If B is down one or two points, administer the free throws as part of the 4th quarter. Proceed to overtime (or not) as necessary. If OT is necessary, start with a jump ball.

If the score is tied, administer the free throws as the start of the overtime. B gets a throw-in to start overtime.

If B is leading 1 or more points, do not administer free throws. Game Over. GTFO of the gym.

In all cases, I would, at minimum, make a report to my assigner.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Part A appears to be the closest case play based on the OP.

Quote:
5.6.2 SITUATION C:

The ball is in flight during a try by A1 when time for the fourth quarter or for any extra period expires. The try is successful to make the score: (a) A-60, B-60; or (b) A-61, B-60. Clearly after the ball becomes dead, A2 contacts B1.

RULING: A technical foul is charged if contact during a dead ball is intentional or flagrant. If flagrant, it results in disqualification in addition to the free throws. In (a), an extra period is played and this extra period is started by administering the penalty for the technical foul. If this occurrence is after an extra period, the procedure is the same as after the fourth quarter. The next extra period starts with the penalty for the technical foul. In (b), the free throws are treated the same as if they were part of the preceding quarter or extra period. If only one free throw is successful, an extra period is played and the overtime period is started with a jump. If neither or if both free throws are successful, the game is ended. (5-6-2; Exception 3, 4; 7-5-6a; 10-3-7)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
If B is down by more than 2 points, game over, do not administer free throws (unless there are multiple Ts to administer FTs for, the sum of which could cause the outcome of the game to change).

If B is down one or two points, administer the free throws as part of the 4th quarter. Proceed to overtime (or not) as necessary. If OT is necessary, start with a jump ball.

If the score is tied, administer the free throws as the start of the overtime. B gets a throw-in to start overtime.

If B is leading 1 or more points, do not administer free throws. Game Over. GTFO of the gym.

In all cases, I would, at minimum, make a report to my assigner.
If the score is not tied, it's unlikely I would assess a technical foul only because it's pretty hard for a coach to earn a technical and for me to assess one when my butt is jogging out of the gym.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:32am
Often wrong never n doubt

Thanks for the help guys. When I read 5.6b I got it backwards on the statement if the score is tied.

If the score is tied we shoot to begin the OT period.
If B is down 2 or less we shoot right then to see if we need overtime.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If the score is not tied, it's unlikely I would assess a technical foul only because it's pretty hard for a coach to earn a technical and for me to assess one when my butt is jogging out of the gym.
I've done it before.

I ended up right in front of the Home bench at the end of a game and we had to exit behind the scorer's table, so I had to go in front of their bench and between the bench and the table to get out. Right after the horn, I start to jog off and he can't resist saying something along the lines of "You guys are horrible/awful". He had been warned for his behavior during the game, but he was too chickensh*t to get the T during the game, so he wanted to wait until the game was over, knowing there weren't any real consequences. I got to the end of the bench, hit the whistle and whacked him and ran to the locker room. Oh and I filed the report with the state when I got home.