The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Would anyone award points to the offense if the defense touched a ball that entered the basket from below and was half way above the rim and half below?

ART. 1

Basket interference occurs when a player:

Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

I don't think it was a violation in the OP because it had not "passed through" the rim. And I wouldn't call BI or GT for my above situation either.I don't think this is the purpose of the rule although it definitely fits the definition of BI.
I would.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:55pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would.
Would you care to elaborate a little more so that I can understand your point of view? And I know..... Always listen to Bob.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

If part of the ball is above the rim, then the ball is in the basket. I'd get BI.

Suppose B1 deflects the ball upward with enough force that the ball would pass through the basket, except for B2's actions of hitting the ball back down.

If the ball is just tangles with the outside of the net still 12" (or whatever) below the rim, I'd probably pass.

In between, well I'd have to se eit (as a practical matter, I probobly wouldn't think fast enough to get anything).

And, ... fwiw, I hate that saying.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 03:07am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If part of the ball is above the rim, then the ball is in the basket. I'd get BI.

Suppose B1 deflects the ball upward with enough force that the ball would pass through the basket, except for B2's actions of hitting the ball back down.

If the ball is just tangles with the outside of the net still 12" (or whatever) below the rim, I'd probably pass.

In between, well I'd have to se eit (as a practical matter, I probobly wouldn't think fast enough to get anything).

And, ... fwiw, I hate that saying.
Ok. Great point. I agree with that assessment, but Let's say that all of the touching of the ball net etc. happens below the rim instead of above as in your scenario, after the ball enters from below, then would you still award points?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Ok. Great point. I agree with that assessment, but Let's say that all of the touching of the ball net etc. happens below the rim instead of above as in your scenario, after the ball enters from below, then would you still award points?
"In between, well I'd have to se eit (as a practical matter, I probobly wouldn't think fast enough to get anything)."

(Maybe the typos confused you.)