The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Passing through the basket from below (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93542-passing-through-basket-below.html)

Rob1968 Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:34am

Passing through the basket from below

Last night, VB, 3-man crew, I was observing:
Rebounding action and ball is batted upward into the net, and a hand of the player is in contact with the ball, but the ball does not pass through the basket, does not go above the rim. Trail comes in and callls a violation for causing the ball to enter the basket from below.
We discussed it after the game and my understanding of 9-4 is that it should have been a no-call, as the ball didnot pass al the way through the basket.

I also felt that it could not be basket interference, because the ball had not entered the basket from above.

Comments?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 872422)
Rebounding action and ball is batted upward into the net, and a hand of the player is in contact with the ball, but the ball does not pass through the basket, does not go above the rim. Trail comes in and callls a violation for causing the ball to enter the basket from below.
We discussed it after the game and my understanding of 9-4 is that it should have been a no-call, as the ball didnot pass al the way through the basket.

I also felt that it could not be basket interference, because the ball had not entered the basket from above.

Comments?

Does BI require the ball to enter the basket from above?

Rob1968 Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872426)
Does BI require the ball to enter the basket from above?

It seems to me that it would have to be a valid shot attempt, (the ball entering from above,) for there to be BI. Thoughts?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 872431)
It seems to me that it would have to be a valid shot attempt,

See case 9.11.2 for an example of BI without a try.

Rob1968 Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872432)
See case 9.11.2 for an example of BI without a try.

"the ball is above the level of the basket and is partly in the cylinder..." so, it could fall thru the basket, if not interfered. But that was a secondary discussion of the play, last night.
The call by the Trail, last night was for entering the basket from below, and the issue is the wording of 9-4, "enter and pass through". I thought it should be a no-call, and play on, and I told my friend that I'd get some erudite opinions from Forum Members this morning.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 872439)
"the ball is above the level of the basket and is partly in the cylinder..." so, it could fall thru the basket, if not interfered. But that was a secondary discussion of the play, last night.
The call by the Trail, last night was for entering the basket from below, and the issue is the wording of 9-4, "enter and pass through". I thought it should be a no-call, and play on, and I told my friend that I'd get some erudite opinions from Forum Members this morning.

If you're asking about the "entering and passing through" violation, I agree -- no violtion.

If you're asking about BI, then I'm just thinking out loud, and inviting you (and others) to do the same.

Rob1968 Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26am

Thanks, Bob.

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872445)
If you're asking about the "entering and passing through" violation, I agree -- no violtion.

If you're asking about BI, then I'm just thinking out loud, and inviting you (and others) to do the same.

So, it's basket interference to touch the ball or basket including the net while the ball is on or within either basket. So, possibly, the ball in the OP has entered the basket from below at which point the player has committed BI.

Presumably, to be within the basket, the ball would have to be either inside the diameter of the net (as opposed to the net being displaced but resting on top of the ball) or break the plain of the rim. Getting the ball inside the net from below without entering the rim first seems difficult to the point of being able to disregard it. So I'm inclined to think BI in the OP wouldn't occur until and unless the ball entered the rim.

OKREF Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13am

I am inclined to think we have no BI. Also no violation as the ball did not go all the way through the basket according to 9-4.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02pm

I've got no BI here...that is not anywhere near what BI is intended for. I'd get to the violation for entering from below long before I get to BI on a ball that is below the rim having got there from below.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 872474)
I've got no BI here...that is not anywhere near what BI is intended for. I'd get to the violation for entering from below long before I get to BI on a ball that is below the rim having got there from below.

Me too, especially in real-time.

I was mostly trying to get the OP (and others who might be reading it) to see that s/he might have had the correct call, but for the wrong reason (at least as I read it)

Sharpshooternes Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872490)
Me too, especially in real-time.

I was mostly trying to get the OP (and others who might be reading it) to see that s/he might have had the correct call, but for the wrong reason (at least as I read it)

Would anyone award points to the offense if the defense touched a ball that entered the basket from below and was half way above the rim and half below?

ART. 1

Basket interference occurs when a player:

Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

I don't think it was a violation in the OP because it had not "passed through" the rim. And I wouldn't call BI or GT for my above situation either.I don't think this is the purpose of the rule although it definitely fits the definition of BI.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 872422)

Comments?

There's no violation of any type here.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 872568)
Would anyone award points to the offense if the defense touched a ball that entered the basket from below and was half way above the rim and half below?

ART. 1

Basket interference occurs when a player:

Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

I don't think it was a violation in the OP because it had not "passed through" the rim. And I wouldn't call BI or GT for my above situation either.I don't think this is the purpose of the rule although it definitely fits the definition of BI.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that the BI rule was written under the assumption that the ball was within the basket having entered from above.

BillyMac Thu Jan 17, 2013 07:55am

Classic Line ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 872596)
I think it is pretty safe to assume that the BI rule was written under the assumption that the ball was within the basket having entered from above.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LfvTwv5o1Qs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>