The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Passing through the basket from below

Last night, VB, 3-man crew, I was observing:
Rebounding action and ball is batted upward into the net, and a hand of the player is in contact with the ball, but the ball does not pass through the basket, does not go above the rim. Trail comes in and callls a violation for causing the ball to enter the basket from below.
We discussed it after the game and my understanding of 9-4 is that it should have been a no-call, as the ball didnot pass al the way through the basket.

I also felt that it could not be basket interference, because the ball had not entered the basket from above.

Comments?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Rebounding action and ball is batted upward into the net, and a hand of the player is in contact with the ball, but the ball does not pass through the basket, does not go above the rim. Trail comes in and callls a violation for causing the ball to enter the basket from below.
We discussed it after the game and my understanding of 9-4 is that it should have been a no-call, as the ball didnot pass al the way through the basket.

I also felt that it could not be basket interference, because the ball had not entered the basket from above.

Comments?
Does BI require the ball to enter the basket from above?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Does BI require the ball to enter the basket from above?
It seems to me that it would have to be a valid shot attempt, (the ball entering from above,) for there to be BI. Thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It seems to me that it would have to be a valid shot attempt,
See case 9.11.2 for an example of BI without a try.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See case 9.11.2 for an example of BI without a try.
"the ball is above the level of the basket and is partly in the cylinder..." so, it could fall thru the basket, if not interfered. But that was a secondary discussion of the play, last night.
The call by the Trail, last night was for entering the basket from below, and the issue is the wording of 9-4, "enter and pass through". I thought it should be a no-call, and play on, and I told my friend that I'd get some erudite opinions from Forum Members this morning.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"the ball is above the level of the basket and is partly in the cylinder..." so, it could fall thru the basket, if not interfered. But that was a secondary discussion of the play, last night.
The call by the Trail, last night was for entering the basket from below, and the issue is the wording of 9-4, "enter and pass through". I thought it should be a no-call, and play on, and I told my friend that I'd get some erudite opinions from Forum Members this morning.
If you're asking about the "entering and passing through" violation, I agree -- no violtion.

If you're asking about BI, then I'm just thinking out loud, and inviting you (and others) to do the same.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Bob.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're asking about the "entering and passing through" violation, I agree -- no violtion.

If you're asking about BI, then I'm just thinking out loud, and inviting you (and others) to do the same.
So, it's basket interference to touch the ball or basket including the net while the ball is on or within either basket. So, possibly, the ball in the OP has entered the basket from below at which point the player has committed BI.

Presumably, to be within the basket, the ball would have to be either inside the diameter of the net (as opposed to the net being displaced but resting on top of the ball) or break the plain of the rim. Getting the ball inside the net from below without entering the rim first seems difficult to the point of being able to disregard it. So I'm inclined to think BI in the OP wouldn't occur until and unless the ball entered the rim.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:13am
NFHS Official

I am inclined to think we have no BI. Also no violation as the ball did not go all the way through the basket according to 9-4.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've got no BI here...that is not anywhere near what BI is intended for. I'd get to the violation for entering from below long before I get to BI on a ball that is below the rim having got there from below.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I've got no BI here...that is not anywhere near what BI is intended for. I'd get to the violation for entering from below long before I get to BI on a ball that is below the rim having got there from below.
Me too, especially in real-time.

I was mostly trying to get the OP (and others who might be reading it) to see that s/he might have had the correct call, but for the wrong reason (at least as I read it)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:25pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Me too, especially in real-time.

I was mostly trying to get the OP (and others who might be reading it) to see that s/he might have had the correct call, but for the wrong reason (at least as I read it)
Would anyone award points to the offense if the defense touched a ball that entered the basket from below and was half way above the rim and half below?

ART. 1

Basket interference occurs when a player:

Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

I don't think it was a violation in the OP because it had not "passed through" the rim. And I wouldn't call BI or GT for my above situation either.I don't think this is the purpose of the rule although it definitely fits the definition of BI.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Comments?
There's no violation of any type here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Would anyone award points to the offense if the defense touched a ball that entered the basket from below and was half way above the rim and half below?

ART. 1

Basket interference occurs when a player:

Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

I don't think it was a violation in the OP because it had not "passed through" the rim. And I wouldn't call BI or GT for my above situation either.I don't think this is the purpose of the rule although it definitely fits the definition of BI.
I think it is pretty safe to assume that the BI rule was written under the assumption that the ball was within the basket having entered from above.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Classic Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think it is pretty safe to assume that the BI rule was written under the assumption that the ball was within the basket having entered from above.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)