The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

passing to yourself

What rule prevents this? A1 having used his/her dribble, tosses the ball forwarded and runs several strides and catches it, before it contacts the floor.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:12pm
Ch1town

9-5-3
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood
What rule prevents this? A1 having used his/her dribble, tosses the ball forwarded and runs several strides and catches it, before it contacts the floor.
Nothing prevents it , but the official should call an illegal dribble after it happens.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
9-5-3
I would use 4-45-3 & 4, as well as 4-31. 4-45 deals with traveling defining it as not lifting and placing back down the pivot before releasing the ball for a pass or try for goal. 4-43 defines a pass as to another player. Since what the player did does not meet the definition of a pass or a try, moving the pivot foot is traveling. 9-5-3 deals with illegal dribbles and I don't think this meets the definition of a dribble. However the important thing is to get it blown dead.... edited to correct the rules reference

Last edited by cmathews; Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 03:49pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, A1, who has already started and ended his dribble, throws the ball in an arc. While the ball is in the air, he lifts his pivot foot and hops on the other foot to catch it, continuing this procedure down the court.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

if he is that fast

if the defense is so slow that he can be the first one to the ball with this procedure, they deserve to have it allowed LOL or 4-45-3b if a player jumps neither foot can return to the floor before the ball is released to pass or try for goal : )

Last edited by cmathews; Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 03:50pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Okay, A1, who has already started and ended his dribble, throws the ball in an arc. While the ball is in the air, he lifts his pivot foot and hops on the other foot to catch it, continuing this procedure down the court.
Wait, I think I know this one...it has somthing to do with the Int'l Date Line, right?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Wait, I think I know this one...it has somthing to do with the Int'l Date Line, right?
You have a good memory, Grasshopper.

Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
I would use 4-45-3 & 4, as well as 4-31. 4-45 deals with traveling defining it as not lifting and placing back down the pivot before releasing the ball for a pass or try for goal. 4-43 defines a pass as to another player. Since what the player did does not meet the definition of a pass or a try, moving the pivot foot is traveling. 9-5-3 deals with illegal dribbles and I don't think this meets the definition of a dribble. However the important thing is to get it blown dead.... edited to correct the rules reference
Right on the important thing part. However, the only way to travel without the ball is to secure the ball while not standing, release the ball, then re-secure the ball after standing, without anyone else having touched the ball during this process. (There has to be a shorter way to write that.)

I called the OP an illegal dribble, it is actually an illegal start of a dribble.
(I am going by memory, correct if needed.)

Last edited by SamIAm; Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 04:36pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
Sorry, cm, but you aren't correct about this one. Traveling only occurs while a player is physically holding the ball. Ch1town is right that this is an illegal dribble. There is even a case book play which says so.

4.15.4 SITUATION E: (a) A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor; or (b) A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it. RULING: Legal in (a), but an illegal dribble violation in (b). In (b), since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is an illegal dribble. (9-5)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Sorry, cm, but you aren't correct about this one. Traveling only occurs while a player is physically holding the ball. Ch1town is right that this is an illegal dribble. There is even a case book play which says so.

Except for one case, you must be holding te ball to travel. Don't have my books with me but it's in the case book....A1 gains control of the ball while sitting on the floor, A1 places ball on the floor beside them, A1 stands up, A1 picks up the ball......TRAVEL.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

The one exception is the final sentence of 4.44.5 Sit B and I've stopped stating it every time that I post about traveling. Now I just say that a player has to be holding the ball.