Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why two teams with dark colors?
Youth league - each team only has the one jersey.

(We had black vs dark blue - that was problematic.)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Excedrin Headache Number Fifteen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
We had black vs dark blue - that was problematic.
Blue with white numbers versus blue with black numbers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Blue with white numbers versus blue with black numbers.
Ugh.... Ok, I give! You win!!!

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:06am
Often wrong never n doubt

When I was in school our home uniforms were gold with white numbers. The visitors showed up with gold with white numbers. They were different styles at least. Our team ended up wearing white undershirts under their tops. Many turnovers in that game.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
When I was in school our home uniforms were gold with white numbers. The visitors showed up with gold with white numbers. They were different styles at least. Our team ended up wearing white undershirts under their tops. Many turnovers in that game.
Which explains why the NFHS wants home teams wearing white jerseys.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It doesn't really. The NFHS could just require the home team to have two sets of contrasting jerseys and require them to wear whichever one contrasts with the jerseys worn by the visitors. Why the NFHS fixates on white as one of the contrasting colors is inexplicable (especially in soccer).
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
It doesn't really. The NFHS could just require the home team to have two sets of contrasting jerseys and require them to wear whichever one contrasts with the jerseys worn by the visitors. Why the NFHS fixates on white as one of the contrasting colors is inexplicable (especially in soccer).
It's fixated on white so that if a school had a light colored as its road jersey it won't ever conflict with the home jersey, b/c the home team will always be wearing white.

Your suggestion above is extremely convoluted when there is really a very simple solution.

I'm not concerned about other sports, so my answer applies only to basketball.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's fixated on white so that if a school had a light colored as its road jersey it won't ever conflict with the home jersey, b/c the home team will always be wearing white.

Your suggestion above is extremely convoluted when there is really a very simple solution.

I'm not concerned about other sports, so my answer applies only to basketball.
It's really not convoluted. Every team has two jerseys. There's no reason to not allow them to wear their dark jersey when it contrasts with the other team's jersey.

It doesn't bother me for basketball because it's been that way forever. In soccer, otoh, they're bucking with the tradition of the game for no good reason.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:34am

Quote:
It is a good idea because that game was a mess.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:00pm
#thereferee99

Mechanics?

Quote:
Following a timeout in a 5th grade girls game. Girls were quite skilled by the way. Yellow has possession of the ball under the basket at the far end line. Black coachs yell for them to be in 3-2 defense. Black sets up their defense in the back court but I believe they thought they were in the front court. I at first thought they were pressing as they had been the whole game. As I hand the ball to yellow for the throw in, black's coach yells for them to get back into 3-2. They turn and head the other way. Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket. While the flight is in the air everyone is yelling "wrong basket." The only two who don't relize this are the shooter and the teammate who passed the ball in. The first shot is missed and the teammate who passed the ball in gets the "rebound" and sticks it back in. These two head down the floor now. As they ran away I whistled the play dead and instucted them it was still yellow's ball and instucted the table to give 2 pts to black.
Jeremy,
My concern here would be mechanics at the spot of the throw-in not helping avoid the obvious confusion amongst the players. You say you handed the ball to the thrower. It's not a front court throw-in for them, so I would expect you to bounce it. Did you inform the thrower and give a visible signal as to whether it was a spot throw-in? In looking at the mechanics manual I don't see a specific mention (resuming play after time out) of giving direction (as in the start of a quarter), but I know I will give a visible direction as the teams break their huddles and take the court. Did you do that?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Jeremy,
My concern here would be mechanics at the spot of the throw-in not helping avoid the obvious confusion amongst the players. You say you handed the ball to the thrower. It's not a front court throw-in for them, so I would expect you to bounce it. Did you inform the thrower and give a visible signal as to whether it was a spot throw-in? In looking at the mechanics manual I don't see a specific mention (resuming play after time out) of giving direction (as in the start of a quarter), but I know I will give a visible direction as the teams break their huddles and take the court. Did you do that?
As they broke their huddle I called out for yellow ball as I was standing on the endline. I remember saying to the yellow player that you have the baseline and can run. Black had scored right before yellow called timeout. I handed the ball to the player instead of bouncing because there was defensive pressure. I did not point in the direction that yellow should be going after the timeout was over. Should I be doing this after a timeout? I do it after an intermission. After a timeout I will just state the color.

I believe the confusion came from the fact that black had been pressing all game, they came up to press which brought all of yellow up. The coaches for Black then yelled "No you are in 3-2." Black moved into a 3-2 half court zone but did so in the front court. I think this is where the yellow brains went haywire that they were on their offensive end. While handing the ball to yellow the Coaches of Black yelled that they were on the wrong end. They retreated just as yellow was throwing the ball in.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should I be doing this after a timeout?
Yes. imo.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes. imo.
I always do if the ball is coming in on the sideline but for never do if it is on the endline. No reason, mainly bc I never thought about it.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:58pm
Go Blue

Has a JV boys game last year, came in early and both teams had the same yellow jerseys on with very little difference in highlights. I am so glad I did not have that game. Afterward, I asked the refs if they tried to find t-shirts to go under one of the teams jerseys, and he wished he thought of that.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:28pm
#thereferee99

Sounds like you weren't the problem.

Quote:
As they broke their huddle I called out for yellow ball as I was standing on the endline. I remember saying to the yellow player that you have the baseline and can run. Black had scored right before yellow called timeout. I handed the ball to the player instead of bouncing because there was defensive pressure. I did not point in the direction that yellow should be going after the timeout was over. Should I be doing this after a timeout? I do it after an intermission. After a timeout I will just state the color.

I believe the confusion came from the fact that black had been pressing all game, they came up to press which brought all of yellow up. The coaches for Black then yelled "No you are in 3-2." Black moved into a 3-2 half court zone but did so in the front court. I think this is where the yellow brains went haywire that they were on their offensive end. While handing the ball to yellow the Coaches of Black yelled that they were on the wrong end. They retreated just as yellow was throwing the ball in.
kids! Sounds like you did all you could do.