View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:20pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Shooting at wrong basket.

Following a timeout in a 5th grade girls game. Girls were quite skilled by the way. Yellow has possession of the ball under the basekt at the far end line. Black coachs yell for them to be in 3-2 defense. Black sets up their defense in the back court but I believe they thought they were in the front court. I at first thought they were pressing as they had been the whole game. As I hand the ball to yellow for the throw in, black's coach yells for them to get back into 3-2. They turn and head the other way. Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket. While the flight is in the air everyone is yelling "wrong basket." The only two who don't relize this are the shooter and the teammate who passed the ball in. The first shot is missed and the teammate who passed the ball in gets the "rebound" and sticks it back in. These two head down the floor now. As they ran away I whistled the play dead and instucted them it was still yellow's ball and instucted the table to give 2 pts to black.

Question: Should have I blown the play dead or should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball? What if the play had been higher level? I know that doesn't really matter according to the rules but in the spirt of the game perhaps it does?