The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:20pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Shooting at wrong basket.

Following a timeout in a 5th grade girls game. Girls were quite skilled by the way. Yellow has possession of the ball under the basekt at the far end line. Black coachs yell for them to be in 3-2 defense. Black sets up their defense in the back court but I believe they thought they were in the front court. I at first thought they were pressing as they had been the whole game. As I hand the ball to yellow for the throw in, black's coach yells for them to get back into 3-2. They turn and head the other way. Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket. While the flight is in the air everyone is yelling "wrong basket." The only two who don't relize this are the shooter and the teammate who passed the ball in. The first shot is missed and the teammate who passed the ball in gets the "rebound" and sticks it back in. These two head down the floor now. As they ran away I whistled the play dead and instucted them it was still yellow's ball and instucted the table to give 2 pts to black.

Question: Should have I blown the play dead or should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball? What if the play had been higher level? I know that doesn't really matter according to the rules but in the spirt of the game perhaps it does?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Question: Should have I blown the play dead...
Why should you have blown it dead? You said the players were highly skilled.

Quote:
should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball?
I don't understand this question.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question: Should have I blown the play dead or should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball? What if the play had been higher level? I know that doesn't really matter according to the rules but in the spirt of the game perhaps it does?
No reason to blow it dead until and unless they commit a backcourt violation. And yes, you should be counting... although I'm not sure why FIVE is the number you chose. 8 or 10 depending on which ruleset your 5th graders are using. Most likely 10.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
No reason to blow it dead until and unless they commit a backcourt violation. And yes, you should be counting... although I'm not sure why FIVE is the number you chose. 8 or 10 depending on which ruleset your 5th graders are using. Most likely 10.
I believe he means "5" second throw in count after the made points at wrong basket. Is that right?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I believe he means "5" second throw in count after the made points at wrong basket. Is that right?
Correct, once yellow made the basket they ran down the floor to join the other 8 players thinking they were going to be playing defense.

The reason I blown it dead was that there was no one there to inbounds the ball and with it being a younger level I wanted to help them out. I later questioned that since there is no rule backing this up.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why should you have blown it dead? You said the players were highly skilled.
Highly skilled is relative to their age level.

I don't know that I should have. I felt it was best to get everyone back on the same page as it was younger kids. Perhaps I should have just counted the five second violation.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would do it as you did.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Ah. Now I see what you are saying. I'm not sure I'd be real quick on beginning the 2nd throw in count here. My first priority would be glancing over at the table to make sure they scored the basket for the correct team. (If not, you could stop things right there and fix it). If so - with 5th graders, at this point I'd be rather vocal. You said that SOME people were saying wrong way - hopefully a coach was one of them. Something like "Yellow throw in, right here" trying to get the coach's attention might be enough.

If not, yeah, I guess you have to start a new 5-second count.

The very first "wrong basket" play I ever had was a long time ago with a pretty good partner - the "wrong team" was even defending the play - and my on-the-ball partner had a 10-second count going that he may have rushed a bit - which expired before a shot was made. So luckily, all we had was a 10-second backcourt violation and not a basket.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

At this age level I would have done the same.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:16pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would do it as you did.
Me too. They paid the price for dumb play, now fix it and go on with the game.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Anytime players successfully shoot it in the wrong basket, the play should be blown dead and the scorer instructed to count the points for the "team" who's basket the shot was scored in. They play will resume with an throwin anywhere along the endline for the team who didn't score.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Correct, once yellow made the basket they ran down the floor to join the other 8 players thinking they were going to be playing defense.

The reason I blown it dead was that there was no one there to inbounds the ball and with it being a younger level I wanted to help them out. I later questioned that since there is no rule backing this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Anytime players successfully shoot it in the wrong basket, the play should be blown dead and the scorer instructed to count the points for the "team" who's basket the shot was scored in. They play will resume with an throwin anywhere along the endline for the team who didn't score.
I was just about to type something similar.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

50 shades...

Also, do not give ball back to "yellow"...give it to "gold"
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rabble Rouser ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Pot stirrer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I see where you are going with this. Why do some officials not want to say the colors that have more than one syllable? Is it just due to the ease of saying the word or is there some other reason? I come from a school which has purple as one of their colors so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me. Although we were called blue much more than purple.