The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I know I asked this question prior, but I've thought of different scenarios, which I need an answer.

Scenario 1
The original post involved A1 shooting @ Team A's basket ( the one being defended) and B1 goaltends (why, I don't know because it would be 2 points for Team B, duh). The answers I got was if shot scores then credit Team B with 2 points and A gets ball OOB at baseline. If A doesn't score then play resumes. Also in Casebook 5.2.3

Scenario 2
Same as scenario 1 except: 1) shot scores and B1 fouls A1; and 2) shot doesn't score but B1 still fouls A1.

My questions are 1) What is the call?; 2) Who gets the ball and where; and 3) Are any FT shot?

Thank you for your answers
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

If it's a foul, go ahead and call it. Just remember that it is a common foul, not a shooting foul. Assess the appropriate penalty.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaref0812
I know I asked this question prior, but I've thought of different scenarios, which I need an answer.

Scenario 1
The original post involved A1 shooting @ Team A's basket ( the one being defended) and B1 goaltends (why, I don't know because it would be 2 points for Team B, duh). The answers I got was if shot scores then credit Team B with 2 points and A gets ball OOB at baseline. If A doesn't score then play resumes. Also in Casebook 5.2.3

Scenario 2
Same as scenario 1 except: 1) shot scores and B1 fouls A1; and 2) shot doesn't score but B1 still fouls A1.

My questions are 1) What is the call?; 2) Who gets the ball and where; and 3) Are any FT shot?

Thank you for your answers
Someone els can quote the rule references -
No goaltending on a shots at the wrong basket (excluding crazy situations at the start of a game that include teams going the wrong direction). It is not a try. Also if the foul occurrs before the non-try goes in, the ball is dead, no basket. Either way a common foul unless flagrant or intentional.

However you could have basket interference resulting in two points. I dont think you can BI for three when the ball is shot at the wrong goal (I could use a little help on that one friends).
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaref0812
Scenario 1
The original post involved A1 shooting @ Team A's basket ( the one being defended)
Team A's basket is the basket into which they try to throw the ball.

I agree with the other answers (and you can't have a three-point award on BI for shooting at the wrong basket).
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Follow up on this

Say a player gets the ball and starts dribbling toward the wrong basket, in an attempt to make a lay-up.

Do you blow the whistle and stop the play, or do you let the player shoot the basket?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Re: Follow up on this

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheryl P
Say a player gets the ball and starts dribbling toward the wrong basket, in an attempt to make a lay-up.

Do you blow the whistle and stop the play, or do you let the player shoot the basket?
If they're widdle kids, I'll blow the whistle and straighten 'em out. If they're big ones, I 'll straighten 'em out after the basket is scored. There is no rule book justification for an official to blow the whistle before the shot at the wrong basket-- unless the player committed a back court violation while going the wrong way.