The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Game ending err

2 man crew....3 seconds left in the game, team A down by one. Endline throw-in in As frontcourt. Spot throw in. Im trail. Partner tells kid he can run endline. He takes 3 steps to the left, hit A2 cutting in the lane who made the layup and horn sounds. A1 celebrating. B's coach irate since A moved on a spot throw in. I talk to partner who said " my bad, what do we do now?". B's coach says regardless of partners mistake its still a violation. A's coach says you cant tell my kid he can.run the endline and then penalize him when he does. Partner left it up to me to correct.

I waived off the basket, gave it back to A1 for a spot throwin and put time back.on the clock. They failed to score. Team B won.

Was I right? Wrong?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Referee error. Game over. There are no do-overs. He buys the pitcher of beer AND the wings.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:29pm

Or, award 1 point and go to overtime.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Referee error. Game over. There are no do-overs. He buys the pitcher of beer AND the wings.
Yep, A wins. B still had a chance to play defense.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. That's bad X 2.

Did you guys communicate with each other before the ball was put in play for the throw in? In my games we make a point to always communicate whether its a spot or the inbounder has the endline coming out of a timeout. Especially critical in a late game situation.

But to answer you question, yes you were wrong. Don't know how you justified a "do-over."
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Wow. That's bad X 2.

Did you guys communicate with each other before the ball was put in play for the throw in? In my games we make a point to always communicate whether its a spot or the inbounder has the endline coming out of a timeout. Especially critical in a late game situation.

But to answer you question, yes you were wrong. Don't know how you justified a "do-over."
They justified it by virtue that both coaches were correct. It is a violation and it's also true that you can't tell a player one thing and then whistle it dead as a violation. That's why it is an official's error. But, the no do-over rule is pretty clear.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They justified it by virtue that both coaches were correct. It is a violation and it's also true that you can't tell a player one thing and then whistle it dead as a violation. That's why it is an official's error. But, the no do-over rule is pretty clear.
So again, don't know how they justified it. It's clear how they attempted to justify it but.....that's pretty bad.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:03pm
We don't rent pigs

What level was this? Obviously a big goof for the official, but you would think even a player might have recognized that he couldn't run the endline in the frontcourt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:14pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What level was this? Obviously a big goof for the official, but you would think even a player might have recognized that he couldn't run the endline in the frontcourt.
I'm always surprised when a high school player (let's say sophomore or above) asks me if he/she has the baseline. They've watched/played enough ball by then to know that rule. Maybe I expect too much
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wow just realizing this was in the frontcourt.

I'd rather see the T whistle and stop play when the kid left the spot thanend up with the outcome you did.

At least that way you could have prevented your partner from completely screwing both of you.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
He takes 3 steps to the left...
Was the total distance more than 3 feet?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I'm always surprised when a high school player (let's say sophomore or above) asks me if he/she has the baseline. They've watched/played enough ball by then to know that rule. Maybe I expect too much
Are you kidding? Players ask whose BALL it is after a timeout. And at halftime. And at the quarter break. You'd think they'd know how to read the possession arrow. And that the coach would mention something to them.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Are you kidding? Players ask whose BALL it is after a timeout. And at halftime. And at the quarter break. You'd think they'd know how to read the possession arrow. And that the coach would mention something to them.
A mechanic that I invented around here is at the end of a quarter (or half), I stand in the centre-circle and verbalize and point whose ball it on the ensuing DL throw-in to start the next quarter. I do this so that each coach can coach their players with knowing who we're giving the ball to.

Even with that, so many times at the start of that next quarter, "whose ball is it"?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
A mechanic that I invented around here is at the end of a quarter (or half), I stand in the centre-circle and verbalize and point whose ball it on the ensuing DL throw-in to start the next quarter. I do this so that each coach can coach their players with knowing who we're giving the ball to.

Even with that, so many times at the start of that next quarter, "whose ball is it"?
We go into the huddle on the first horn and tell them whose ball it is -- when the players come out, they STILL ask.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The coaches ask, too.