Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:02am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
I gave my first T tonight. I am a third year offical by the way. Girls freshman game, both coaches had been quiet all night. About 3 minutes left in the third quarter, B goes into full court press mode. A advancing slowly up court with heavy defensive pressure. A1 has her non-dribbling hand up in front of her chest, B1 is bumping into A1's arm causing her arm to go down. When B1 backs up A1's arm comes up. A1 is not pushing on B1 or committing a foul. In my judgement B1's contact is incidental. I have nothing. I reach 8 on my backcourt count and B's coach calls a timeout. A's coach comes out on the floor about 3 feet and is screaming at me to make a call. I called a T. She sit down and was quiet for the rest of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You granted Coach B's time-out request even though Team A had the ball?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
That was my first thought as well.......
Sounds like Coach A was ungrateful, considering the count was at 8.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You granted Coach B's time-out request even though Team A had the ball?
Sorry I misspoke. A's coach requested a Tim that my partner ( lead) granted. I have edited my OP.

Thanks,
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When It Absolutely, Positively Has To Be There Overnight ...

Quote:
Sorry I misspoke. A's coach requested a Tim that my partner (lead) granted. I have edited my OP.
Too late. I've already sent my letter. And, as we all know, unlike the sandlot baseball games of my youth, there are no do-overs in basketball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:04pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
...A's coach requested a Tim...
Did you give him one like this?

Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When You're Having More Than One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Did you give him one like this?

I've got a sports jacket just like Tiny's, but mine says, "Schaefer".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:50pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Too late. I've already sent my letter. And, as we all know, unlike the sandlot baseball games of my youth, there are no do-overs in basketball.
Thank you for being a fan of HS basketball and please say hi to Devon!
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 06:23pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not everything is local, some things are personal. I do this but no mandate from anyone to do this. I also do this and make sure the coach reviews this so they can correct any silly mistake. And fortunately in the last few years that I have been doing this, I have prevented several Ts that would have been given if we went with what was in the book. But not everyone does this or is even advocated by a group or evaluator. It was suggested by people I respect and thought I would try it. Been doing it ever since.

Peace
Happened to me yesterday.
The official scorer missed a name while transcribing from the visiting teams book. The numbers were off. Glad I caught it so that we didn't have to deal with it later.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 07:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Happened to me yesterday.
The official scorer missed a name while transcribing from the visiting teams book. The numbers were off. Glad I caught it so that we didn't have to deal with it later.
While it's definitely better to catch it sooner than later, this would not have been a T later, either.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 07:40pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While it's definitely better to catch it sooner than later, this would not have been a T later, either.
I suppose you are right.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the24kid View Post
he said that for a person my age (early twenties), he thinks I would have gained a lot of respect from the coach, since nobody heard the comment in the gym since the gym was loud, if I had gone up to him and said " Coach, I will not tolerate comments like that. If I hear something like that again it will be a technical foul" and then jogged away... anybody like that response over a quick t?
Sorry but this is baloney. Coaches aren't going to respect that, they are going to see you as a door mat because they'll know they just got away with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
In my 3rd year and have never given a "T" to a coach yet..I am a big believer of issuing a bench warning and putting it in da book and so far that has done the trick to get my message across.
That's all well and good, just make sure you don't fall into the trap of thinking that T'ing up a coach makes you a weak official.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 03:51pm
TODO: creative title here

Whacked a player an 8th grade game last night.

During a dead ball for an OOB violation, he stuck his foot out to trip an opponent who was walking past him to line up for the throw-in.

Blatantly obvious. Idiot.

Easy T.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did you consider a flagrant?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

During a tournament last weekend I stopped by one of the other courts to watch a game. One of our older officials is working the game (61, just had knee surgery) and he is trail...really trail! He is at the 28 foot mark of the backcourt. So this girl drives to the basket, gets hit and no one calls it...coach walks onto the court to get on the trails ***, and the old guy blows his whistle, puts his hand in the face of the coach, looks at the other coach and says "give me a shooter"...never even signaled "T"..it was hilarious!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:03pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Did you consider a flagrant?
Had the trippee fallen, I definitely would've. But the trippee saw it coming in enough time limit the damage to nothing more than a brief stumble.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:39am
AremRed

I am a first year official. I gave my first T early in December. I was the trail, opposite the table. Player A1 had the ball, dribbling down the sideline. He was guarded by B1. Player A2 sets a screen which B1 does not expect. B1 hits the screen hard, but not a foul. B1 is upset about the screen and as A2 begins to move away from where he set the screen, B1 tries to "scissor-kick" him! B1 kind of hopped in the air off one foot and tried to stomp A2 with the other. B1 totally wiffs, but I see it and call an unsporting tech. It was a weird situation because I have never seen a scissor-kick-stomp combo, plus the kick-stomp missed.

Was this the right call? If he made contact with the kick, should I have called a flagrant tech?