The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No Good T Stories? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93379-no-good-t-stories.html)

ballgame99 Wed Jan 02, 2013 01:37pm

No Good T Stories?

I love the T stories, or the T or not threads. Nobody has any good ones from the weekend? I was told to "call it both ways" by opposing coaches during the same game this weekend, so that was pleasant.

Freddy Wed Jan 02, 2013 01:49pm

Not Always T Time

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 869593)
I love the T stories, or the T or not threads. Nobody has any good ones from the weekend? I was told to "call it both ways" by opposing coaches during the same game this weekend, so that was pleasant.

The infrequency of regular "T stories" seems to bespeak a measure of admirability regarding the posters on this forum, no? Says to the general public that giving T's isn't what we're all about. (Not that John Q. Public is a regular lurker or anything; just sayin'.)
On the other hand, "to T or not to T" accounts I can learn from are always good to review when they do get posted.
I saw one given last week.

Rich Wed Jan 02, 2013 01:54pm

I just don't call a lot of technicals. And those I do call are usually fairly boring stories.

BillyMac Wed Jan 02, 2013 01:57pm

Did You Throw His *** Out Of The Game ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 869595)
Says to the general public that giving T's isn't what we're all about.

Whenever I meet someone for the first time, and they discover that I'm a basketball official, they always ask me about technical fouls, like it's the most important part of my job. I'm never asked about block/charges, traveling, correctable errors, etc. It's always, "So, have you given out any technicals lately?".

JRutledge Wed Jan 02, 2013 02:00pm

I gave my first coach T this past week on an assistant. The tournament director did not like it, but I feel comfortable for giving the T. And I tried to warn or "give a hint" so that the behavior would have stopped. It is not a very good story, but like Rich says, I do not give a lot of Ts to coaches. I give more to players because they tend to not listen even when warned.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Jan 02, 2013 02:25pm

Coach's misbehavior earned him a T.

:shrug:

That's not much of a story, but it's all the story most of them should be.

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 02, 2013 03:10pm

This isn't my "best" T story but it might be the weirdest. A few years ago, I was working a game in my local kids rec league when my partner told me he had given a T to his partner the week before. :confused:

I thought I heard him wrong but that's what he said. Of course, I was really confused and asked him to tell me the story. What he meant was - he gave a T to a guy who he worked some games with early in the day during a later game when that guy was coaching his own son's team.

Until I heard the explanation, I thought were going to have a story to tell down through the ages.

Welpe Wed Jan 02, 2013 03:20pm

I have not worked many games this season and only have a few run of the mill ones on players.

BillyMac Wed Jan 02, 2013 03:35pm

If The News Fits, Print It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 869609)
Coach's misbehavior earned him a T. That's not much of a story, but it's all the story most of them should be.

Reminds me of this: "Dog Bites Man" is not a story. "Man Bites Dog", now that's a story.

jTheUmp Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:01pm

3 Ts so far this year.

2 for adding numbers to the book in the waning moments of the game when the scrubs were being subbed in.

1 on a coach for ABS.

zm1283 Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:31pm

Had one for grasping the ring during warmups. We started with a T and the coach got to sit. He also benched the offending player for most of the first half.

My only other one was a player who threw his hands up and yelled "And one" toward me as a teammate was shooting during the first quarter. I should have whacked him immediately but decided to warn him very specifically at the next whistle (Which just happened to be a hand check on him;)) Fast forward to about three minutes left in the game. I'm the Lead in transition and he gets the ball stolen. Instead of turning around to go play defense he throws his hand up in the air at me again and starts to say something, so I stuck him. The HC wanted to blame me and give me the old "You can't call that with three minutes left in a seven point game" routine. I had to remind him that I warned his player right in front of him and I knew he heard it.

DLH17 Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:38pm

Youth level: T to an assistant after stopping the game after a made FTA to tell the head coach (who was sitting next to the assistant at that moment) he is the only bench personnel I want to hear anything from during the game. Assistant looks at me and starts to laugh sarcastically out loud in a display of complete disrepect.

WHACK

:D

26 Year Gap Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 869617)
This isn't my "best" T story but it might be the weirdest. A few years ago, I was working a game in my local kids rec league when my partner told me he had given a T to his partner the week before. :confused:

I thought I heard him wrong but that's what he said. Of course, I was really confused and asked him to tell me the story. What he meant was - he gave a T to a guy who he worked some games with early in the day during a later game when that guy was coaching his own son's team.

Until I heard the explanation, I thought were going to have a story to tell down through the ages.

That would be like giving a T to a mother who came out of the stands to care for her injured child. Almost.

Terrapins Fan Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:56pm

I am finding that the longer I referee, the fewer "T"s I give. 4 years ago, it was 20 for the season about 60 games with church leagues and HS.

Last year I gave about 7 and I didn't have much of a choice. They were by the book Ts.

What I mean by that is, a kid yells the F word, a coach tried to show me up yelling at me, so forth and so on. I have avoided a few by being patient this year.

So far this year 1. That's about 20 games into the season.

Terrapins Fan Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 869635)
The HC wanted to blame me and give me the old "You can't call that with three minutes left in a seven point game" routine.

"Can you show me where that is in the rule book coach?"