The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile No Good T Stories?

I love the T stories, or the T or not threads. Nobody has any good ones from the weekend? I was told to "call it both ways" by opposing coaches during the same game this weekend, so that was pleasant.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:49pm
This IS My Social Life

Not Always T Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I love the T stories, or the T or not threads. Nobody has any good ones from the weekend? I was told to "call it both ways" by opposing coaches during the same game this weekend, so that was pleasant.
The infrequency of regular "T stories" seems to bespeak a measure of admirability regarding the posters on this forum, no? Says to the general public that giving T's isn't what we're all about. (Not that John Q. Public is a regular lurker or anything; just sayin'.)
On the other hand, "to T or not to T" accounts I can learn from are always good to review when they do get posted.
I saw one given last week.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:51pm.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I just don't call a lot of technicals. And those I do call are usually fairly boring stories.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Did You Throw His *** Out Of The Game ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Says to the general public that giving T's isn't what we're all about.
Whenever I meet someone for the first time, and they discover that I'm a basketball official, they always ask me about technical fouls, like it's the most important part of my job. I'm never asked about block/charges, traveling, correctable errors, etc. It's always, "So, have you given out any technicals lately?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I gave my first coach T this past week on an assistant. The tournament director did not like it, but I feel comfortable for giving the T. And I tried to warn or "give a hint" so that the behavior would have stopped. It is not a very good story, but like Rich says, I do not give a lot of Ts to coaches. I give more to players because they tend to not listen even when warned.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Coach's misbehavior earned him a T.

:shrug:

That's not much of a story, but it's all the story most of them should be.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

This isn't my "best" T story but it might be the weirdest. A few years ago, I was working a game in my local kids rec league when my partner told me he had given a T to his partner the week before.

I thought I heard him wrong but that's what he said. Of course, I was really confused and asked him to tell me the story. What he meant was - he gave a T to a guy who he worked some games with early in the day during a later game when that guy was coaching his own son's team.

Until I heard the explanation, I thought were going to have a story to tell down through the ages.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

I have not worked many games this season and only have a few run of the mill ones on players.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If The News Fits, Print It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Coach's misbehavior earned him a T. That's not much of a story, but it's all the story most of them should be.
Reminds me of this: "Dog Bites Man" is not a story. "Man Bites Dog", now that's a story.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:01pm
TODO: creative title here

3 Ts so far this year.

2 for adding numbers to the book in the waning moments of the game when the scrubs were being subbed in.

1 on a coach for ABS.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Had one for grasping the ring during warmups. We started with a T and the coach got to sit. He also benched the offending player for most of the first half.

My only other one was a player who threw his hands up and yelled "And one" toward me as a teammate was shooting during the first quarter. I should have whacked him immediately but decided to warn him very specifically at the next whistle (Which just happened to be a hand check on him) Fast forward to about three minutes left in the game. I'm the Lead in transition and he gets the ball stolen. Instead of turning around to go play defense he throws his hand up in the air at me again and starts to say something, so I stuck him. The HC wanted to blame me and give me the old "You can't call that with three minutes left in a seven point game" routine. I had to remind him that I warned his player right in front of him and I knew he heard it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Youth level: T to an assistant after stopping the game after a made FTA to tell the head coach (who was sitting next to the assistant at that moment) he is the only bench personnel I want to hear anything from during the game. Assistant looks at me and starts to laugh sarcastically out loud in a display of complete disrepect.

WHACK

Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This isn't my "best" T story but it might be the weirdest. A few years ago, I was working a game in my local kids rec league when my partner told me he had given a T to his partner the week before.

I thought I heard him wrong but that's what he said. Of course, I was really confused and asked him to tell me the story. What he meant was - he gave a T to a guy who he worked some games with early in the day during a later game when that guy was coaching his own son's team.

Until I heard the explanation, I thought were going to have a story to tell down through the ages.
That would be like giving a T to a mother who came out of the stands to care for her injured child. Almost.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I am finding that the longer I referee, the fewer "T"s I give. 4 years ago, it was 20 for the season about 60 games with church leagues and HS.

Last year I gave about 7 and I didn't have much of a choice. They were by the book Ts.

What I mean by that is, a kid yells the F word, a coach tried to show me up yelling at me, so forth and so on. I have avoided a few by being patient this year.

So far this year 1. That's about 20 games into the season.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The HC wanted to blame me and give me the old "You can't call that with three minutes left in a seven point game" routine.
"Can you show me where that is in the rule book coach?"