The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Just curious if you're a disgruntled D1-radar official that may have missed his chance?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Yep...you got me!

Another post focusing on me.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:26am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMoore View Post
Yep...you got me!

Another post focusing on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Why would you expect anyone to defend their actions? They made a mistake and almost every post in response to your silly letter acknowledges that. What exactly are you looking for?

If JR was here, he'd say

"Lah me"
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

There is no defense for what they did. However, if you are an official, your self-interests are apparent by your cheerleading effort to "throw the book" at officials Stuart, Stephens and Hess. Officiating is a business that is not fair. Some guys get a ton of assignments and have the rope to make mistakes where for a guy just breaking in, it could be a career ender. It is not fair and never will be as long as there is one person holding all (or most of) the power in each conference.

Quote:
LOL...I did email adams and hyland and clougherty and shaw (FYI): jwasports1, user2117, etc.

I am not a fanboy, and it matters not the reaction you all send my way. Each of you are anonymous as well, so what difference does it matter...just as you pay no attention to my post.

But yes, I opted to post today because I am sick and tired of BIG TIME officials f%%4ing stuff up and continue to get games with no penalty at all...living off reputation versus ability. Their arrogance is demonstrated on the floor by their mannerisms.

Again, you all focus on me...but I did not misapply the rule, because I KNOW the rule.

So continue to throw darts at me for voicing my opinion...but I have yet to hear ONE person defend their actions and provide a reasonable excuse. Guess what, there is NOT an excuse! Yeah...they will be on TV again this weekend and work the NCAA tourney, but do not know the freakin rules!

I guess it is WHO you know and not WHAT you know...
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:30am
(Something hilarious)

Smile Let's turn this discussion into a learning opportunity, yay?

Let's say I had my way and all HC's and AC's had to pass a thorough rules test in order to coach at the college level. Does this situation fall in the correctable error category? And if so, until what time could the officials correct it, if requested by the B HC? (And for those who don't know one of the two rule sets, the applicable rules read identical for this scenario.)

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 11:33am.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd close the thread as a worthless expenditure of hot air, but quite frankly I'm really entertained by it.

BTW, I loved John Adams's response. He gave the OP more attention than he was due, IMO.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you always close threads that do not meet your standards or liking and then block people simply because their opinion is not of yours...glad you find it entertaining.

Adams' response was typical just as I thought it would be. I was surprised he even replied. At least he READ what I had to say...OUT!
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Adams' response was typical just as I thought it would be. I was surprised he even replied. At least he READ what I had to say...OUT!
Do you really think he read your letter? That is an automated response if ever there was one. And perfect!
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

The learning point here, other than the obvious mis direction on OT jump ball is that when the ball became dead one official immediately recognized what had happened an the ball should have been given back to the team in control as the goaltending is an inadvertent whistle. Or am I missing something?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Did Someone Say Old School Three Times ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If JR was here, he'd say "Lah me"
Even thought I got my share of "Lah me"'s from Jurassic Referee, I really learned a lot from him, and I really miss him.

On the other hand, is Old School trying to make a comeback with a new username?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Adams' response was typical just as I thought it would be.
What would you expect someone in his position to say to a complaint about an albeit blown call(s)? Have you ever been an assignor/supervisor at any level? I do it for a living - although not at anywhere near the level of stature of Adams - and to give detailed responses that are admissions of guilt or apologies or include details of the reprimands that will be befalling the employees/contractors is not at all productive in my opinion - especially to anonymous complainants. And to reiterate what others have said - he's not even their supervisor.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
The reason you need to post under an alias is that you and everyone else on this board have no right to question or challenge the competence of the 3 officials on last night's game. Yes, they made an indefensible mistake, but hopefully, we can all learn from this and apply to our games in the future. Calling for a fellow officials punishment (and thinking you are right in writing to John Adams and conference coordinators) is an act of insanity. If you don't believe me, feel free to email it to John Adams. He usually responds to all emails he receives.
Copy Art Hyland the Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials for the Big East Conference on your e-mail to John Adams.......I'm sure he'd appreciate your insights regarding his officials.

Really, you've got to lighten up. Do actually think that these three officials haven't already heard from Hyland about this? The coordinator gets a DVD of every conference game, the officials each get one upon the completion of the game.

You mentioned in an earlier post...."Karl Hess can't teach me anything at a future camp....."
If you've attended or are thinking about attending an NCAA 'observation' camp, to get into or move up in college basketball officiating, you might want to rethink your career advancement strategy.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yeah, you always close threads that do not meet your standards or liking and then block people simply because their opinion is not of yours...glad you find it entertaining.

We have never permanently banned a user with the exception of spammers, who get the immediate permanent ban hammer.

All posters who have received any kind of time out since we took admin/mod duties are currently able to post.

You haven't gotten personal with anyone, which is why you are really of no danger of being placed in a time out. Yet. But threads have to serve some purpose -- you being entertaining won't last long, so I applaud the poster who tried turning this into a learning experience for others here.

Maybe we can move in that direction.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What you don't seem to understand is we did read your letter, and the substantive points were addressed.
1. It was a mistake. (we agree.).
2. It was a travesty. (we disagree)
3. They should be disciplined. (they probably will)
4. Newer officials would be fired (doubtful).

Whether they're disciplined by the Big East will have little bearing on whether they're on tv this weekend. Probably even zero bearing.

You do realize that a condescending form letter does NOT mean Adams even read your dissertation, right?

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 11:58am.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:42am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
The learning point here, other than the obvious mis direction on OT jump ball is that when the ball became dead one official immediately recognized what had happened an the ball should have been given back to the team in control as the goaltending is an inadvertent whistle. Or am I missing something?
If you watch the video, I contend Stephens and Stuart knew something was wrong. Stephens initially takes a step backwards and Stuart is on the floor looking like he's going to kill the play, in my opinion.

Either way, what should of happened is count the bucket and go in the right direction. 5-1-3