The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

UConn vs Marquette Fiasco (Letter to John Adams and Coordinators)

Yes, this is my first post, but I am a frequent reader of the forum. This fact should not diminish the contents or opinion within my letter as free speech is a right.

Many of you will disagree with my letter, but I stand by the fact that misapplication of the rules is UNACCEPTABLE and these guys should be held accountable regardless of who they are...for IF they are not disciplined, then NONE of us should be disciplined if we ever misapply a rule.

So what if I don't attach my name to this letter...that would be a death sentence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letter to John Adams and Selected Coordinators of Officials:

I am certain by now that all of you are aware of the travesty that occurred in the UConn at Marquette game on January 1, 2013. If you aren’t, let me briefly remind you of the events: The officials, Karl Hess, Michael Stephens, and Mike Stuart lined the players up for the jump ball heading in the wrong direction to start the overtime period. This was not the players’ fault! It was not realized by the officials until AFTER a goaltending call was made by Stuart, who was in the lead, opposite position on the floor. The officials conferred and not only disallowed the goaltending call (saying it wasn’t a try), but used the alternating possession arrow to give the ball to Marquette at their baseline for a throw-in. Error, compounding by another error, followed by a third error!!

I watched this game in utter frustration because each of these officials have worked the Final Four and are supposed to be three of the best not only in the Big East, but the country as well. I find it hard to believe that the THIRD article in Rule 5 was not known by these officials. It is apparent to me that these officials are refereeing on reputation and not ability. It is also apparent to me that when you see the number of games these officials work (bbstate.com), there is more arrogance demonstrated by these “Big Time” officials than there is concentration and knowledge of the rules.

This was a travesty for ALL basketball officiating! Even though this fiasco happened in a Big East game, I am curious as to what excuse the coordinators will arrive at to defend these officials who also work in the SEC, ACC, Big 12, A-10, C-USA, and other conferences. Quite frankly, there is NO EXCUSE for this to happen in ANY game at ANY level. Officials who referee jr. high girls know how to line players up correctly to start an overtime period and more importantly, jr. high officials know this rule. Judgment is judgment, but knowledge of the rules is paramount. I am certain that each of these officials will be on TV later this weekend in another "BIG Time" game in a BCS conference.

Additionally, disallowing the basket may have cost UConn the game; had this basket been scored as it should have been, UConn would have only been down one versus three and would have had an opportunity to win the game versus attempting to tie the game.

It is unacceptable that officials at such a high level cannot adjudicate rules properly…and I am certain that each one will in fact return to the NCAA tourney, not because of their ability, but because of their reputation! But now their reputations should be that they do not know the rules of the game no matter how “Big Time” they think they are!!

Where is the accountablity? If this had happened with young officials, they would all probably be fired.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 07:42am
I miss being on the floor

I think your use of the word "travesty" is a little much.

Also, yes you did attach your name to it. When you posted the letter under your screen name, which appears to be your real name, you attached your name to it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Oh well...travesty is a matter of opinion too. Maybe Devon is NOT my real name. Hmmm. Again, the CONTENT is what should be considered...not my name.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:20am
This IS My Social Life

Veiled Mask of Protected Obscurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMoore View Post
Oh well...travesty is a matter of opinion too. Maybe Devon is NOT my real name. Hmmm. Again, the CONTENT is what should be considered...not my name.
I don't use my real name. I don't think.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Yup, they screwed up. They screwed up a basic rule. They tried to fix it by "doing the right thing", and compounded it. I personally don't see that as a travesty for all basketball officiating. I would have no problem with them having to give back a game or two in the Big East. But I can't imagine that this is a fireable offense.

I don't know anything about what motivated you to write this open letter, but I find this sentence curious:

Quote:
It is also apparent to me that when you see the number of games these officials work (bbstate.com), there is more arrogance demonstrated by these “Big Time” officials than there is concentration and knowledge of the rules.
How exactly is any arrogance apparent in this situation? How exactly can you see arrogance in any official's schedule? That truly perplexes me. It makes absolutely no sense at all. You probably don't anything about any of them personally. I know one of them personally and have been observed by another one at camp. If they are arrogant, it's certainly not "apparent" when you talk to them in person; so I have no idea how it can be apparent from looking at a list of games.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Agreed that they messed up. Agreed they should be disciplined -- and I think they will be.

But:
1) It's not Adams' job to do this - -he doesn't control the conference assignments.
2) Your "travesty" and "arrogance" comments seem over the top (as others have mentioned).
3) While "free speech" is a right, it's not applicable here.
4) BCS Conference is a football term and has nothing to do with basketball.
5) The play itself is no different from any other missed call that happens with just under 5 minutes to go in a game (or for that matter at any other time) -- it affects the game, but it doesn't cost a team the game.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So what if I don't attach my name to this letter...that would be a death sentence.
Care to elaborate on this?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 09:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Yup, they screwed up. They screwed up a basic rule.
Perhaps the players assumed it was like the beginning of the game, since that is also when there is a jump ball. The officials did check the directions. That's a bad error at that level, imho.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I am wondering if the OP might, just might be from Connecticut or affiliated with UConn. The letter reeks of bias and will likely be given as much weight if and when it is read by anyone on the receiving end.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 09:39am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I am wondering if the OP might, just might be from Connecticut or affiliated with UConn. The letter reeks of bias and will likely be given as much weight if and when it is read by anyone on the receiving end.
I think you're on to something...

Quote:
Additionally, disallowing the basket may have cost UConn the game
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's a bit early for the fanboys to be coming out of the woodwork.

Or did I miss January and February entirely?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

It was the first play of OT, so UCONN should have gone up 2. Everyone makes mistakes...I feel that the OP is rather embittered about the entire situation. Why aren't we more supportive of fellow officials instead of writing a letter to Adams (trying to get them in trouble).
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Before "we" flog the officials for "taking 2 points away from" and "possibly losing the game for" UConn, maybe we should evaluate every single one of Calhoun's in game mistakes and all of his player's mistakes - you know, stuff like subbing incorrectly, leaving a player in too long, not calling a timeout when really needed, missed layups, shooting the ball too early in the play clock, taking a bad foul.

Wait, none of those things directly affect the outcome of the game.

Only officials can do that. LOL.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Calhoun Who ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Maybe we should evaluate every single one of Calhoun's in game mistakes - you know, stuff like subbing incorrectly, leaving a player in too long, not calling a timeout when really needed.
Jim Calhoun is in his Lazy Boy recliner, not subbing, and not requesting timeouts. He retired back in the fall. Kevin Ollie is now the head coach, originally he got a one year "tryout" contract, but now he has signed a long term contract. There's certainly a lot less swearing from the bench with Ollie coaching.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Again, some of you are more concerned about me and my intentions without regard to the CONTENT of the letter. My affiliation or intent is not the issue here. Supportive of the officials you suggest? Misapplication of rules by three FF officials is UNACCEPTABLE! How can you be supportive of that?

Instead of coming at me, I have yet to read one response that justifies their actions. Where's the accountability? You never know if this ONE game costs Uconn its place in the BE tourney or selection committee seeding...one never knows the IMPACT of our mistakes as officials.

Yes I beleive some work too much; how can they concentrate and maintain their intensity night in and night out? It is too hard.

It was not a simple error...as in judgement. It was a MISSED APPLIED RULE by 3 guys who are supposed to be the best. Karl Hess can't tell me anything at a future camp since he can't even line players up correctly and doesn't know the third article of rule 5. Has he even read the rule book? But hey, ALL of them are equally at fault. It was a TRAVESTY...ask UConn if THEY feel that way.

Regarding death sentence: most everyone on here does not use his/her real name because you really cannot say what you want without fear of retailiation in some form or fashion. Period.