Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I enjoy "collecting" myths.
also from last night, "how can he he have a closely guarded count while the dribbler is moving forward?"
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen anyone call a handcheck on a shooting foul and I don't think I will be either. At that point, it's usually a push...maybe a hold.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Oh wise members of the board-a couple of years ago someone wrote a list of most misunderstood basketball rules.can whoever posted that post it again?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 10:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I've never seen anyone call a handcheck on a shooting foul and I don't think I will be either. At that point, it's usually a push...maybe a hold.
I have something against calling holds on shots for some reason. Usually call an "Illegal use of hands" on shooting fouls.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:20am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
also from last night, "how can he he have a closely guarded count while the dribbler is moving forward?"
I had a new one tonight. I took a charge in a game (I was playing), and the guy who committed it said, "That can't be a charge, it was in the key."
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:05am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have something against calling holds on shots for some reason. Usually call an "Illegal use of hands" on shooting fouls.
I can't say I see many holds on shots, either. It's typically a block, or "illegal contact," as we're instructed to call it. (I suppose all fouls are illegal contact, so it's hard to go wrong there.) I still can't rule out a hand check.

I've always tried to be precise with the type of foul, but I'm starting to get the impression most really don't care.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't say I see many holds on shots, either. It's typically a block, or "illegal contact," as we're instructed to call it. (I suppose all fouls are illegal contact, so it's hard to go wrong there.) I still can't rule out a hand check.

I've always tried to be precise with the type of foul, but I'm starting to get the impression most really don't care.
I don't get the impression that most don't care. I always try to be precise, even adding "non-approved" NFHS mechanics if a player gets hit on the head or something.

But I think the overwhelming majority do see hand checks as a foul on a dribbler. Once a player gets into their shooting motion if the hand is there it is effectively a push or illegal use of hands.

I'm still trying to envision a play where I would even think about calling a hand check on a shot attempt.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I do not know what you mean by thinking others do not care. I think a hand check is not an appropriate foul for a shooting foul. Honestly I wish the NF would open up some of the signals that you see at other levels to be more descriptive. Hand checking be what has been described has always been on the ball handler and preventing movement with the ball. Shooting fouls usually involve another set of contact IMHO.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not know what you mean by thinking others do not care. I think a hand check is not an appropriate foul for a shooting foul. Honestly I wish the NF would open up some of the signals that you see at other levels to be more descriptive. Hand checking be what has been described has always been on the ball handler and preventing movement with the ball. Shooting fouls usually involve another set of contact IMHO.

Peace
For that matter, until a few years ago, there was no such foul as a hand check. Every single hand check could properly be described as either a hold, a push, or illegal use of hands. Hand check is really redundant but offer just a bit more of a descriptive term.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Usually call an "Illegal use of hands" on shooting fouls.
...as I also do.

JR...how do you VERBALIZE it"?

I hate saying 5 or 6 syllables when reporting...so I usually don't...I just give them the color, number and visual foul signal on an "illegal use of hands".

I like the one syllable fouls (getting rid of the ing)...block...push...hold...charge...

the two syllable fouls...hand check...

the three syllable fouls...team control...double foul (I do verbalize "foul" on this for some reason...probably becuase it is not seen much and it is only two words)

even the four syllable fouls...intentional...player control...technical foul(using "foul" for the same reason listed above)

but that crazy six syllable, four word foul...illegal use of hand...is hard to spit out and sounds weak...IMO.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Don't say anything -- just give the signal.

"White -- 32" (signal) "two shots'

Or, say "hit" or "hack"
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Don't say anything -- just give the signal.

"White -- 32" (signal) "two shots'

Or, say "hit" or "hack"
Yes...I usually don't say anything...just give the signal.

I have tried the "hit" verbage...not bad, I suppose.

I have heard an official use the "hack" verbage...didn't really like it.

I can always use my one word substitute..."boom"...but suggest others not try this at home (or away for that matter)
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:55am
Courageous When Prudent

I will verbalize whatever it takes to get info to the coaches. Sometimes it may be silence on an obvious foul. But I say all kinds of things: grabbed his arm; hit to the face; trip; push in the back; on the elbow. Cuts down on those "what did he do" sidebars.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I will verbalize whatever it takes to get info to the coaches. Sometimes it may be silence on an obvious foul. But I say all kinds of things: grabbed his arm; hit to the face; trip; push in the back; on the elbow. Cuts down on those "what did he do" sidebars.
Sounds good...but what do the evaluators at the State playoffs tell you about it?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Bingo. I just go with whatever seems to come first to my mind.

That said, I will *always* show a hit to the head on a drive regardless if it's in the mechanics chart or not -- especially if it's contact that would likely receive a pass had it been anywhere else -- I want the coaches to know I called it because of the head contact.