The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Last player fouls out - but "special" rec league rule -- how to handle bonus?

So this adult wreck league uses NCAA rules - except when it comes to a player fouling out... they use the rule that every additional foul on this player is a technical foul.

So tonight we had that situation and A1 who had 5 fouls commits his 6th foul while his team is in the penalty. The game management had never actually encountered this so we pondered what to do -- give the tech and the bonus or just the tech and possession.

We ended up staying with just the tech and possession at division line but I thought I'd throw it out for the wolves to discuss.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

This used to be a rule WAAYYY back in the day. I want to say it applied to International play (Or the Big East in the 80's, since they REALLY knew how to foul) As memory serves you handled this correctly. Basically, what you are doing is bumping up the 'common foul' to a technical foul. Unless he fouled and then muttered an unspeakable!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Just ask the guys what they used to do when they played in the NBA.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada is right... They are trying to adopt a CBA rule/NBA rule. ..

If the person is able to stay in. NBA rules shoots the 1 shot T then play the foul... because that is the normal procedure in NBA...

If I were reffing in your league I would do what NCAA does on the T but I bet they intended a 1 shot T...
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Experiment ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Big East in the 80's.
Six fouls, rather than five, for disqualification.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Nevada is right... They are trying to adopt a CBA rule/NBA rule. ..

If the person is able to stay in. NBA rules shoots the 1 shot T then play the foul... because that is the normal procedure in NBA...

If I were reffing in your league I would do what NCAA does on the T but I bet they intended a 1 shot T...
Ironically thats what prompted the question for me because I do a lot of Pro-AM in the city using NBA rules... and there the rule does make sense.... putting that into NCAA rules is tricky ha.