The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Overtime Situation, Shooting at "Wrong" Basket

All,

I had the last night off, very rare. As a result, I decided to go and watch the local team, and my alma mater, play against their big rival. Here is the situation:

JV game goes into OT. When the players are getting set for the Jump, I observe that by the location of the jumpers, the baskets have been switched. I.E. --> Team A is going to be shooting at the basket they had during the first half, and likewise for Team B. Immediately after the tip, Team A gets the ball and scores a fast break layup.

Coach B is yelling at the referee to stop play because those 2 points should be credited to his team, as it was "suppose" to be his team's basket. Play is halted and the two officials begin to discuss the situation.

End Result: Credit Team A with the 2 points that they just scored. Then switch the baskets to the proper layout (Team A is now going to shoot at the basket that they had during the second half, and likewise for Team B). Team B has the ball out of bounds for the throw-in.

My question, was this handled correctly? I cannot seem to find anything about this.

Sorry, it might be a little confusing to follow, if you need any more clarification, ask and I will try to reword the case.

- Ragin' Cajun
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

That's how I would have taken care of it. The officials should have made sure prior to administering the jump ball that the jumpers were properly set.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
My question, was this handled correctly? I cannot seem to find anything about this.
See 5.2.1F
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, bob. Not sure how I skipped over that in the case book.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Yes,

Rule 4-5-4; 5.2.1 SIT:E