The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:18am
C'mon man!!

Indirect TFs roll over to AC?

Say 5 players leave the bench and participate in a fight. That would equal 5 indirect TF to the head coach. Well he only needs three to be ejected. Do the other two roll over to an AC or are they just considerd part of the HC's penalty and forgotten about? Thanks.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:21am
We don't rent pigs

2-3 The referee shall make the decision on points not specifically covered in the rules.

Without looking, I'm pretty sure this is not covered in the rules.

I'm the referee and I say the AC is not a part of this fiasco.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

No...I'd say the head coach isn't ejected until he's been notified. He eats all 5 of the indirect technical fouls
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:31am
We don't rent pigs

Even if something else happens after the ejection of the head coach, I see nothing in the rules about anybody else becoming the head coach. Therefore, I see no provision for charging an indirect to anyone after the ejection.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Even if something else happens after the ejection of the head coach, I see nothing in the rules about anybody else becoming the head coach. Therefore, I see no provision for charging an indirect to anyone after the ejection.
Really?

Then is no one in charge of and responsible for the behavior of the bench? Does no one get to decide who long a timeout is to be (30 vs 60)? Who has to replace a DQ'd player before the 20 second timer runs out?

There is always a head coach. If the original head coach is ejected, someone else must fill the spot. Whoever that is gets all of the rights and responsibilities of that spot for the remainder of the game...noting that the rights of that spot no longer include the coaching box.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 03:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Then is no one in charge of and responsible for the behavior of the bench? Does no one get to decide who long a timeout is to be (30 vs 60)? Who has to replace a DQ'd player before the 20 second timer runs out?

There is always a head coach. If the original head coach is ejected, someone else must fill the spot. Whoever that is gets all of the rights and responsibilities of that spot for the remainder of the game...noting that the rights of that spot no longer include the coaching box.

What you're saying is all the way that things are. But where is this found in the rules? Is it stated anywhere that anyone becomes "the head coach" or acts as "the head coach" as opposed to taking over for the now departed head coach? I agree that whoever takes over doesn't get a coaching box, but I've never read that anywhere except here, have I? As for indirects charged to somebody else after an ejection, I can honestly say it has never even crossed my mind, but I'm fairly certain it is not in the books anywhere, either. As a rule, we treat ACs as non-people, so if upon being thrust into the spotlight through none of his own doing, he has no possibility of inheriting all the HC privileges, I'm not sure it's fair to give him all the HC penalties.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What you're saying is all the way that things are. But where is this found in the rules? Is it stated anywhere that anyone becomes "the head coach" or acts as "the head coach" as opposed to taking over for the now departed head coach? I agree that whoever takes over doesn't get a coaching box, but I've never read that anywhere except here, have I? As for indirects charged to somebody else after an ejection, I can honestly say it has never even crossed my mind, but I'm fairly certain it is not in the books anywhere, either. As a rule, we treat ACs as non-people, so if upon being thrust into the spotlight through none of his own doing, he has no possibility of inheriting all the HC privileges, I'm not sure it's fair to give him all the HC penalties.
Show me where they even define head coach and who that is. There is only ONE coach and without a coach there is no game. The "assistants" are really undefined. They are just bench personnel....until the head coach is ejected.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 05:33am.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 05:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Show me where they even define head coach and who that is.

That is a very good point. I'm just gonna let this one drop. Since this has never come up before in 27 years, I'm thinking there's a good chance it never will, for me at least.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 06:39am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Show me where they even define head coach and who that is. There is only ONE coach and without a coach there is no game.

Where NFHS is silent state associations sometimes fill in the gap. One state provides this direction in their Officials' Manual:

COACH EJECTED
According to MHSAA regulations, if a coach is ejected from a contest
and an assistant coach or an assigned school representative is not
available to continue as coach, the event is terminated and forfeited to
the opponent (MHSAA Regulation V, Section 3(B)).
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:
Since this has never come up before in 27 years.
This (assistant becoming "head" coach) has been discussed on the Forum before. I can't find it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't discussed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This (assistant becoming "head" coach) has been discussed on the Forum before. I can't find it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't discussed.
Yeah, I also remember that discussion. I think we agreed that if the HC is ejected, Diebler takes over.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Where NFHS is silent state associations sometimes fill in the gap. One state provides this direction in their Officials' Manual:

COACH EJECTED
According to MHSAA regulations, if a coach is ejected from a contest
and an assistant coach or an assigned school representative is not
available to continue as coach, the event is terminated and forfeited to
the opponent (MHSAA Regulation V, Section 3(B)).
Not relevant....it isn't NFHS.