The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
4-42-4 say the throw in count stops on the release of the throw in pass. 10 second count wont start until touched by A. Correct?
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Starts when there's player control in the backcourt when a player comes from a throw-in. All rules pertaining to a 10 second count, 3 second count, and backcourt violations are adjudicated the exact same way as before team control was added to the throw-in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:39am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Nope
I wasn't asking about 10 second count. I am asking when does the five second throw in count stop. 4-42-4 says the count ends when the ball is released by the thrower and goes directly into the court. So if A1 rolls the ball into the court, not over he OOB line, the five second count ends, when it leaves the throwers hands.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-42-4 say the throw in count stops on the release of the throw in pass. 10 second count wont start until touched by A. Correct?
That's what I'm answering...a 10 second count (nor a 3 second count or any backcourt violation provisions) won't start until player control has been established.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:44am
NFHS Official

Quote:
That's what I'm answering...a 10 second count (nor a 3 second count or any backcourt violation provisions) won't start until player control has been established.
Got it. Thanks, I meant controlled when I typed touched. My bad.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:44am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I wasn't asking about 10 second count. I am asking when does the five second throw in count stop. 4-42-4 says the count ends when the ball is released by the thrower and goes directly into the court. So if A1 rolls the ball into the court, not over he OOB line, the five second count ends, when it leaves the throwers hands.
The question was answered already along with the cite of the rule. Are you asking if this changes if the ball is rolled, as opposed to released on a pass?
The answer is no. If the release is legal the count ends. If the release is not legal, the count ends anyway on the violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Does that mean, for NCAA-M, in that the old "B deflects A1's front court pass to A2 into A's backcourt" play, that the 10-second court shouldn't start until there's player control established again by A? That's how that rule reads, to me. Just curious.
No, the 10 second count starts the moment the ball gains BC status (hits the floor). There is already team control by A inbounds and B's deflection doesn't change that. A is not permitted to be in continuous team control of a ball in the backcourt for more than 10 seconds.

The other plays discussed where player control is mentioned in the backcourt are different because the ball was coming from a throwin, not from a pass between inbounds players.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Inbounds pass is rolled on the floor. When does 5 second count stop.
Back thirty years ago, when the inbounds pass is touched by a player inbounds. No longer applies in the twenty-first century.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 10:23am.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:57pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, the 10 second count starts the moment the ball gains BC status (hits the floor). There is already team control by A inbounds and B's deflection doesn't change that. A is not permitted to be in continuous team control of a ball in the backcourt for more than 10 seconds.

The other plays discussed where player control is mentioned in the backcourt are different because the ball was coming from a throwin, not from a pass between inbounds players.
Is that delineated somewhere in the NCAA books? Because the way the rule reads leads me to believe otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Rule Book
Section 10. (Men) 10-Second Violation
The 10-second count shall begin when a player is in control of the ball in his back court. An inbounds player (and his team) shall not be in continuous control of a ball that is in his back court for 10 consecutive seconds.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Is that delineated somewhere in the NCAA books? Because the way the rule reads leads me to believe otherwise.
I believe that is in context of a throw in....that the 10 count doesn't start until there is player control. There doesn't have to be player control to have the count if the ball is already inbounds.