The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw - Resumption of Play

NFHS.... Resumption of play procedure for a free throw following a timeout or intermission.

Part I:

8.2: "...The ball shall be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin...".

Defense is occupying proper lane spaces, offense team is causing the delay by not coming out of their huddle (including the FT shooter).

After placing the ball on the floor, do you immediately call the violation
(9.3.e), or wait to call the violation until after the free thrower enters the free throw semi-circle or until the 10 second count is up (whichever is first)?

Part II:

Offense & Defense are occupying proper lane spaces. After missing the first of 2 FTs, A1 (FT shooter) leaves the semi-circle and walks back to half court, causing an undue delay. How do you handle? Warning for delay? Nothing under 4.47 seems to fit.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
NFHS.... Resumption of play procedure for a free throw following a timeout or intermission.

Part I:

8.2: "...The ball shall be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin...".

Defense is occupying proper lane spaces, offense team is causing the delay by not coming out of their huddle (including the FT shooter).

After placing the ball on the floor, do you immediately call the violation
(9.3.e), or wait to call the violation until after the free thrower enters the free throw semi-circle or until the 10 second count is up (whichever is first)?

Part II:

Offense & Defense are occupying proper lane spaces. After missing the first of 2 FTs, A1 (FT shooter) leaves the semi-circle and walks back to half court, causing an undue delay. How do you handle? Warning for delay? Nothing under 4.47 seems to fit.
Part 1: The official must wait for the 10 seconds or illegal entry into the semi-circle. The team could request a time-out to avoid the impending FT violation.

Part 2: Technical foul. 10-3-5c
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Violation?

B is properly lined up in the FT lane after a time out.
Team A is still huddled around the coach.
Official places ball at FT line and starts a ten count.
A1 rushes to the FT line and enters the semicircle.....A2-3-4-5 mosey out to half court.

What rule is there to support a violation on A1 if she walks into the half circle and shoots the FT before 10 seconds?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:17pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachp View Post
what rule is there to support a violation on a1 if she walks into the half circle and shoots the ft before 10 seconds?
rpp
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
B is properly lined up in the FT lane after a time out.
Team A is still huddled around the coach.
Official places ball at FT line and starts a ten count.
A1 rushes to the FT line and enters the semicircle.....A2-3-4-5 mosey out to half court.

What rule is there to support a violation on A1 if she walks into the half circle and shoots the FT before 10 seconds?
No rule, but the Case Book says this is a violation.

9.1.3 SITUATION J:
The official administering a free throw awarded to A1 places the ball at his/her disposal. A1, who is inside the free-throw semicircle leaves the semicircle to confer with a teammate. RULING: Violation. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of the free thrower, he/she is not permitted to leave or enter the free-throw semicircle without violating, until restrictions have ended. (9-1-3e Penalty 1)

Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here's where I'm confused:
9.3.e: After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:
The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane
of the edge of the free throw line....or the free throw semi-circle.

On the resumption of play, wouldn't the ball be considered at disposal when the ball is placed on the floor - resulting in a violation at that moment?

Or is the ball not considered at disposal when the ball is placed on the floor in this situation?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada,

Check out this year's illustration of the Resumption of Play Procedure in our Simplified and Illustrated "picture book".

Looks like the Team A players are in the wrong spot????
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 07:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sometimes A Technical Foul ...

Remember, the Resumption of Play procedure is only used for a free throw after a timeout, or intermission. If the free throw is not after a timeout, or intermission, and the team delays, it's a technical foul.

The Resumption of Play procedure can be used for any throwin, not just a throwin after a timeout, or intermission.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

When is the violation called?

Is there a rule or case number that determines when the violation is called when the ball is placed on the floor during resumption of play for a free throw?

NevadaRef indicates the violation is not called until the free thrower actually enters the semi-circle, or the 10 second count is reached. Team A could call a TO to avoid the violation.

Can someone point me to the rule or case to support that? I can only find 9.3.e which says the the free thrower can't be outside the semi-circle after the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower. Isn't the ball at disposal when the ball is placed on the floor, which means a violation immediately?

Thanks!
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there a rule or case number that determines when the violation is called when the ball is placed on the floor during resumption of play for a free throw?

NevadaRef indicates the violation is not called until the free thrower actually enters the semi-circle, or the 10 second count is reached. Team A could call a TO to avoid the violation.

Can someone point me to the rule or case to support that? I can only find 9.3.e which says the the free thrower can't be outside the semi-circle after the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower. Isn't the ball at disposal when the ball is placed on the floor, which means a violation immediately?

Thanks!
I was thinking the same thing. Without looking, I would assume that when the ball is put on the floor, it is at the thrower's disposal so it would be a violation right then.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

I find it difficult to believe the NFHS really wants us to call a violation for the shooter entering the circle on this. Yeah, I know they could call a time out, but if the NFHS really wants to all but ensure a violation occurs on this, they should simply rule it an immediate violation, like in the new case this year on the thrower fumbling the ball away.

Is the intent really any different than the RPP for a throw-in? It seems to me the point is to put them on the clock and make them hustle over and play ball.

Yes, I realize the case play goes out of its way to call out entering the semi circle. But don't you think if their intention was to put the shooting team in a position where they must either call a time out or violate, that they would have been very clear about that?

I'd really like to see a case play on this exact situation.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Nevada,

Check out this year's illustration of the Resumption of Play Procedure in our Simplified and Illustrated "picture book".

Looks like the Team A players are in the wrong spot????
I don't have the 08-09 version. However, if the diagram is the same as last year, then the new rule would make it incorrect. Of course, the book may have been printed before the passage of that rule or maybe the editors just goofed and forgot to alter the picture.

I don't what else to tell you.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Without looking, I would assume that when the ball is put on the floor, it is at the thrower's disposal so it would be a violation right then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I find it difficult to believe the NFHS really wants us to call a violation for the shooter entering the circle on this. Yeah, I know they could call a time out, but if the NFHS really wants to all but ensure a violation occurs on this, they should simply rule it an immediate violation, like in the new case this year on the thrower fumbling the ball away.

Is the intent really any different than the RPP for a throw-in? It seems to me the point is to put them on the clock and make them hustle over and play ball.

Yes, I realize the case play goes out of its way to call out entering the semi circle. But don't you think if their intention was to put the shooting team in a position where they must either call a time out or violate, that they would have been very clear about that?

I'd really like to see a case play on this exact situation.
In response to all three of you, I would state that there are times when some of the rules simply do not apply. Along this line of thinking, when the RPP is used the rules of the game become a bit different. One needs to pretend that we have left the normal dimension of basketball and entered the RPP-zone!

More concretely, here are a two case plays which illustrate that a team is not to be penalized for some things that would otherwise be infractions (during the normal course of play):

9.2.9 SITUATION:
Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and
awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to
the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The
official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count. (a) Both
A1 and A2 step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball; or (b) both A1 and A2
step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball and hands it to A2.
RULING: In (a),
A2 must immediately return inbounds. In (b), it is a throw-in violation when A1
hands the ball to A2. (9-2-12)

In part (a) of the above case, the RPP overrides 9-2-11 and A2 is allowed to immediately return inbounds. In the case below the NFHS directly states that the RPP takes precedence over 10-4-4.

10.4.4 SITUATION C: Following a charged time-out the ball is bounced to A1
for a throw-in even though Team B is still gathered at the sideline. The substitutes
are off the bench and the coaches are huddled around the seated players. Should
Team B be charged with a technical foul(s) for substitutes and coaches being off
the bench or outside the optional coaching box?
RULING: No. The resumptionof-
play procedure takes precedence and no penalty is assessed for the other sideline
infractions.

Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No rule, but the Case Book says this is a violation.

9.1.3 SITUATION J:
The official administering a free throw awarded to A1 places the ball at his/her disposal. A1, who is inside the free-throw semicircle leaves the semicircle to confer with a teammate. RULING: Violation. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of the free thrower, he/she is not permitted to leave or enter the free-throw semicircle without violating, until restrictions have ended. (9-1-3e Penalty 1)

A1, who is INSIDE the free-throw semicircle leaves the semicircle ........

How can he/she violate by ENTERING the semicircle? The ONLY violation that can occur is LEAVING the semi circle.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
A1, who is INSIDE the free-throw semicircle leaves the semicircle ........

How can he/she violate by ENTERING the semicircle? The ONLY violation that can occur is LEAVING the semi circle.
Don't read the situation, read the Ruling! It says "RULING: Violation. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of the free thrower, he/she is not permitted to LEAVE OR ENTER the free-throw semicircle WITHOUT VIOLATING, until restrictions have ended.