The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Throw in play

Debate on this play.

Team A has an inbound throw in from their own front court. The inbound pass is tipped at the 28 foot mark by B2 then is tipped by A2 in the front court. The ball is finally secured by A3 in the back court.

I believe we do not have an over and back violation on this play cuz although the throw in ended when team B tipped the ball, team A never had team possession in the front court so no over and back.

I know there is a case play which is very similar, but different in that the team A player jumps from the FC, secures the ball in the air, and then lands in the BC. I know this is over and back since when he jumps from the FC and catches the ball in the air, he has established FC status.

If the first play is also over and back, please give me the rule references.

Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Your thoughts are correct. You can not have a backcourt violation until after a team has team control inbounds AND at the same time the ball has frontcourt status. Only then can it be possible.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 02:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT View Post
Debate on this play.

Team A has an inbound throw in from their own front court. The inbound pass is tipped at the 28 foot mark by B2 then is tipped by A2 in the front court. The ball is finally secured by A3 in the back court.

I believe we do not have an over and back violation on this play cuz although the throw in ended when team B tipped the ball, team A never had team possession in the front court so no over and back.
I do not have a back court violation.

As we all know, a front court throw-in to the back court is legal. That the ball was tipped before possession is secured in bounds doesn't change this; the play is still legal - for the reason that Camron specified.