The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 01:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
new coach is a downgrade

Last night, had a kid take the ball out after a made basket. A team mate wanted to throw it in. First player tosses it to him, then his teammate, who is still IB, steps OOB. Tweet. HC starts to make a fuss about it, I told him his first player was OOB.

HT I let him know exactly what happened on the play as it was near the end of the half, and did not have opportunity earlier. He started arguing and saying that he had game film. Game over for him as he is now in the short leash category. His predecessor had a different demeanor. As an aside the JVC/AC mentioned to one of my partners that that happened with that kid a lot.

Last edited by 26 Year Gap; Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 02:58pm. Reason: to avoid Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

If its obvious that the IB player was going to be the actual in-bounder I would just continue my 5 count.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 02:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If its obvious that the IB player was going to be the actual in-bounder I would just continue my 5 count.
Why?
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Nope, try again.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 02:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
darn you quoters....
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 03:27pm
Back from the DL

"It's not soccer, Coach."
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Last night, had a kid take the ball out after a made basket. A team mate wanted to throw it in. First player tosses it to him, then his teammate, who is still IB, steps OOB. Tweet. HC starts to make a fuss about it, I told him his first player was OOB.
I had a 3 count on a thrower last week when she turned and threw the ball toward me. Tweet. OOB the other way.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once I've started my count, then I've determined who the inbounder is (for the moment).

IF I haven't started my count, and the "non inbounder" has the ball and tosses to the "inbounder", then I can wait a bit (depending on the game situation).
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another gem from our future D1 official. Did you learn this at camp too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Once I've started my count, then I've determined who the inbounder is (for the moment).

IF I haven't started my count, and the "non inbounder" has the ball and tosses to the "inbounder", then I can wait a bit (depending on the game situation).
Wow, this is surprising from you. It isn't within the official's purview to worry about who the inbounder is or will be. All that the official need consider is if the ball is at the disposal of the throwing team. If so, then the five-second count should be started.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wow, this is surprising from you. It isn't within the official's purview to worry about who the inbounder is or will be. All that the official need consider is if the ball is at the disposal of the throwing team. If so, then the five-second count should be started.
I think that's what I said. If I haven't started my count, then the ball isn't at the disposal. So, the toss is of no consequence and I can wait a bit (depending on the game situation) to determione that the ball is at the disposal.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then I think you must have misunderstood him.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems that some posters wish to wait until a specific player has the ball to begin their 5-second count. The rule states that the count shall begin when the ball is available to ANY MEMBER of the throwing team, so why would anyone delay or wait a bit?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems that some posters wish to wait until a specific player has the ball to begin their 5-second count. The rule states that the count shall begin when the ball is available to ANY MEMBER of the throwing team, so why would anyone delay or wait a bit?
If there's no appreciable delay, I see no issue with handling it the way bob suggested.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If there's no appreciable delay, I see no issue with handling it the way bob suggested.
It is called common sense. Not everyone has that thing in their capacity.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

What would make such a thing obvious? If the first guy is out of bounds, and tosses it to the second guy inbounds, who subsequently steps out, I think I would have the violation whistled before I had time to speculate about anything else.

Lonesome Dove