The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   new coach is a downgrade (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93160-new-coach-downgrade.html)

26 Year Gap Sat Dec 08, 2012 01:38pm

new coach is a downgrade

Last night, had a kid take the ball out after a made basket. A team mate wanted to throw it in. First player tosses it to him, then his teammate, who is still IB, steps OOB. Tweet. HC starts to make a fuss about it, I told him his first player was OOB.

HT I let him know exactly what happened on the play as it was near the end of the half, and did not have opportunity earlier. He started arguing and saying that he had game film. Game over for him as he is now in the short leash category. His predecessor had a different demeanor. As an aside the JVC/AC mentioned to one of my partners that that happened with that kid a lot.

deecee Sat Dec 08, 2012 01:57pm

If its obvious that the IB player was going to be the actual in-bounder I would just continue my 5 count.

Adam Sat Dec 08, 2012 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 865706)
If its obvious that the IB player was going to be the actual in-bounder I would just continue my 5 count.

Why?

Rich Sat Dec 08, 2012 02:10pm

Quote:

Nope, try again.

26 Year Gap Sat Dec 08, 2012 02:56pm

darn you quoters....

bainsey Sat Dec 08, 2012 03:27pm

"It's not soccer, Coach."

BktBallRef Sat Dec 08, 2012 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 865699)
Last night, had a kid take the ball out after a made basket. A team mate wanted to throw it in. First player tosses it to him, then his teammate, who is still IB, steps OOB. Tweet. HC starts to make a fuss about it, I told him his first player was OOB.

I had a 3 count on a thrower last week when she turned and threw the ball toward me. Tweet. OOB the other way.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 08, 2012 08:52pm

Quote:

Once I've started my count, then I've determined who the inbounder is (for the moment).

IF I haven't started my count, and the "non inbounder" has the ball and tosses to the "inbounder", then I can wait a bit (depending on the game situation).

Nevadaref Mon Dec 10, 2012 02:35am

Quote:

Another gem from our future D1 official. Did you learn this at camp too?
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 865761)
Once I've started my count, then I've determined who the inbounder is (for the moment).

IF I haven't started my count, and the "non inbounder" has the ball and tosses to the "inbounder", then I can wait a bit (depending on the game situation).

Wow, this is surprising from you. It isn't within the official's purview to worry about who the inbounder is or will be. All that the official need consider is if the ball is at the disposal of the throwing team. If so, then the five-second count should be started.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 10, 2012 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 865954)
Wow, this is surprising from you. It isn't within the official's purview to worry about who the inbounder is or will be. All that the official need consider is if the ball is at the disposal of the throwing team. If so, then the five-second count should be started.

I think that's what I said. If I haven't started my count, then the ball isn't at the disposal. So, the toss is of no consequence and I can wait a bit (depending on the game situation) to determione that the ball is at the disposal.

MD Longhorn Mon Dec 10, 2012 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 865954)

Then I think you must have misunderstood him.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:12pm

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems that some posters wish to wait until a specific player has the ball to begin their 5-second count. The rule states that the count shall begin when the ball is available to ANY MEMBER of the throwing team, so why would anyone delay or wait a bit?

APG Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 866078)
Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems that some posters wish to wait until a specific player has the ball to begin their 5-second count. The rule states that the count shall begin when the ball is available to ANY MEMBER of the throwing team, so why would anyone delay or wait a bit?

If there's no appreciable delay, I see no issue with handling it the way bob suggested.

JRutledge Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 866081)
If there's no appreciable delay, I see no issue with handling it the way bob suggested.

It is called common sense. Not everyone has that thing in their capacity.

Peace

just another ref Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:35pm

Quote:

What would make such a thing obvious? If the first guy is out of bounds, and tosses it to the second guy inbounds, who subsequently steps out, I think I would have the violation whistled before I had time to speculate about anything else.