The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
foul just before buzzer

this actually happened last week in a varsity game. A1 goes up for a shot and B1 clearly fouls A1 on the arm just before horn sounds. the ball is still in the shooters hand as buzzer sounds. A1 was in the act of shooting. what is the proper way to handle the foul in this situation?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

the try does not count since it was not released before the horn.

Shoot 2 (or 3) FTs.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:16am
Back from the DL

It's a shooting foul, but the shot wouldn't count. Two (or three) free throws with the lane cleared.

Meanwhile, I had a first for me yesterday: a common foul at the end of the third quarter. During a rebound, someone got knocked in the head. I went through the motions of reporting, but when I started to point to the spot (no bonus yet), I realized that was useless, and just proclaimed, "that's the quarter."
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Always listen to bob.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:55am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
the try does not count since it was not released before the horn.

Shoot 2 (or 3) FTs.
Agree with the ruling.

Mechanics: easier if I've got just shooter (hold the foul signal) or just clock (wipe vigorously).

if I've got both shooter and the clock, I'd wipe the shot first a few times, then hold my fist up to signal that it's still a foul.

Then send teams to bench and get with partners to review what happens next. Coaches are next, together at the table, then report the foul and shoot FT's if it can affect the outcome (assuming the horn was for the 4th quarter).

Get my team on the same page, then communicate what's on that page to the coaches. Communication is essential in getting these things right.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:12am
Huck Finn

Maven, I would probably call the foul first and maybe not "wipe vigorously" at all. If the foul occurs then the horn, I would call the foul and probably verbalize two shots immediately. Following this, I'm not sure if having a conference with both coaches is necessary either.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:15am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Maven, I would probably call the foul first and maybe not "wipe vigorously" at all. If the foul occurs then the horn, I would call the foul and probably verbalize two shots immediately. Following this, I'm not sure if having a conference with both coaches is necessary either.
A conference — and some wiping — might be advisable if the "shot" goes in.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:27am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
A conference — and some wiping — might be advisable if the "shot" goes in.
I guess this is another HTBT situation, but I don't think we would handle it the same way. If the shot is eventually released and goes in maybe I would wipe it once, but I guess I'm so verbal at the spot and while I report that the conference with the coaches still isn't necessary. One coach is going to be happy the shot doesn't count anyway.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:50am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
I guess this is another HTBT situation, but I don't think we would handle it the same way. If the shot is eventually released and goes in maybe I would wipe it once, but I guess I'm so verbal at the spot and while I report that the conference with the coaches still isn't necessary. One coach is going to be happy the shot doesn't count anyway.
And if I were working with you, I'd be just fine with this. As I said initially, the crucial point is communication, and if you do it with your voice rather than your signals, I'd have no problem with that.

It's the guys who leave everything a big secret that get into trouble.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:57am
Huck Finn

Maven, thanks for your signature...I'm a Quality Manager and was going to use that quote, but someone told me they don't like "dead guy quotes".
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:52pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Maven, thanks for your signature...I'm a Quality Manager and was going to use that quote, but someone told me they don't like "dead guy quotes".
That's too bad. Most people are dead.

But, you're welcome.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
That's too bad. Most people are dead.

But, you're welcome.
I believe there are now more people alive than have died. Think I heard that in the prologue to a TV show or movie once.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe there are now more people alive than have died.
I believe that, whether this is true or not, it would be difficult to prove.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

By Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It's a shooting foul, but the shot wouldn't count. Two (or three) free throws with the lane cleared.

Meanwhile, I had a first for me yesterday: a common foul at the end of the third quarter. During a rebound, someone got knocked in the head. I went through the motions of reporting, but when I started to point to the spot (no bonus yet), I realized that was useless, and just proclaimed, "that's the quarter."
If you have definitive knowledge of how much time should be on the clock, you put that much time on and line them up.

In Georgia, we are told in this situation to put .3 seconds on the clock and line them up even if we don't know exactly how much time was on the clock. So in Georgia, we have definitive knowledge in this scenario that there was at least .3 seconds left.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:23pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe there are now more people alive than have died. Think I heard that in the prologue to a TV show or movie once.
I'll stop hijacking the thread after this:
Fact or Fiction?: Living People Outnumber the Dead: Scientific American