The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Making Coach sit

Working with new partner last night and HC getting a bit unruly with him, partner talks with HC and he sits down. Partner comes to me at next timeout and says he told the coach to sit down for the rest of the game or he would be ejected.

Question: Is this a method one should use or stick to more conventional method --- warn , T , etc...

I normally warn coach then if needed administer T (which seatbelts him in my area ) never really told coach to "sit down or else". I have told them I've heard enough but never "sit them down" ??

BTW my partner was great to work with and the coach did settle down.

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

It's NEVER good to make threats IMO

Warn and then "T"

-Josh
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

No that's not the correct method to use. What happens if the coach decides to stand up and use his box legally? How is he going to eject a coach for doing nothing wrong? How will you write/report that to your assignor and/or state? There are other tools, that are well within our means of authority, to calm a coach down.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem with a threat, I have a problem with the wording. Threats can be implied by using better language. You can say the same thing without using the word "ejected." You can make it clear to a coach or player that their behavior is unacceptable and if it continues you might leave me with little choices. If you make any comment about being penalized you are making a threat IMO. It just might be implied instead of explicit.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

By The Book ...

Charge the coach with a technical foul and then he sits (with legal exceptions). No other way, by rule, to get him to sit. If you follow the rules the phone call you get that night from your assigning commissioner will be a lot easier to answer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 03:46pm.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have no problem with a threat, I have a problem with the wording. Threats can be implied by using better language. You can say the same thing without using the word "ejected." You can make it clear to a coach or player that their behavior is unacceptable and if it continues you might leave me with little choices. If you make any comment about being penalized you are making a threat IMO. It just might be implied instead of explicit.

Peace
I agree with you, but BillyMac's answer is the best one -- if you want a coach to sit, you gotta call a technical foul. That will sit him down -- anything else is really outside the rules.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
but BillyMac's answer is the best one --
I can't believe you put that in writing and THEN posted it!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can I Get Rich's Post Bronzed ???

Quote:
BillyMac's answer is the best one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree with you, but BillyMac's answer is the best one -- if you want a coach to sit, you gotta call a technical foul. That will sit him down -- anything else is really outside the rules.
I was not disagreeing with Billy really, just stating that we threaten all the time but we try to act like that is not what we call certain types of comments. Anytime we give a warning we are on some level threatening them with something no matter how blatant the comments can be seen by those receiving them.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I really don't like painting myself into a corner like the OP. It's putting you into the likely position of either having to lose your credibility or toss a coach for coaching his kids legally.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Seen at last year's

state or semi-state game (as told to me). Old Lead going into new Trail ready to inbound ball on baseline. Holds ball. Takes 3 steps onto court and looks directly at HC (former state champion coach), points down in his/her direction and says only, calmly but sternly, "Box." Takes three steps back and put ball in play.

Coach, and everyone watching, got the message.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

You two are almost saying the same thing, with one caveat.

If you're going to threaten (warn, whatever), it better be supported by rule. If you tell a coach - "If you keep doing X, I'm going to do Y", then you better have rule support for preventing him from doing X, and Y better be the appropriate penalty.

The problem in the OP is that this is not the case. X is not something you can tell a coach to stop unless you issue the T first.

Essentially, OP has issued a T without it counting toward his 2, and without awarding free throws. The OP landed in no-man's land. There's no such thing as half a T.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:26pm
Huck Finn

Be nice...until it is time not to be nice.

One of my friends, and partner last night, told the coach to get back in his box last night. The game was stopped to do this and it became a big production. As the crew chief (we have crews - the association is basically divided by ten) this is something I do not endorse.

One of the officials in the game before mine (also on my crew) ran by a coach and said, "If you do_______again, I'm going to hit you with a T." The coach heard, "If you do_______again, I'm going to hit you." Poor choice of words for sure.

In both situations I would ask the coach a question that would likely start with "Please".

RIP Patrick Swayze
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:38pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
RIP Patrick Swayze

His name is Dalton