The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Making Coach sit (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93056-making-coach-sit.html)

Refk Thu Nov 29, 2012 02:04pm

Making Coach sit

Working with new partner last night and HC getting a bit unruly with him, partner talks with HC and he sits down. Partner comes to me at next timeout and says he told the coach to sit down for the rest of the game or he would be ejected.

Question: Is this a method one should use or stick to more conventional method --- warn , T , etc...

I normally warn coach then if needed administer T (which seatbelts him in my area ) never really told coach to "sit down or else". I have told them I've heard enough but never "sit them down" ??

BTW my partner was great to work with and the coach did settle down.

Thanks

jdmara Thu Nov 29, 2012 02:05pm

It's NEVER good to make threats IMO

Warn and then "T"

-Josh

APG Thu Nov 29, 2012 02:07pm

No that's not the correct method to use. What happens if the coach decides to stand up and use his box legally? How is he going to eject a coach for doing nothing wrong? How will you write/report that to your assignor and/or state? There are other tools, that are well within our means of authority, to calm a coach down.

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2012 02:15pm

I have no problem with a threat, I have a problem with the wording. Threats can be implied by using better language. You can say the same thing without using the word "ejected." You can make it clear to a coach or player that their behavior is unacceptable and if it continues you might leave me with little choices. If you make any comment about being penalized you are making a threat IMO. It just might be implied instead of explicit.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Nov 29, 2012 02:47pm

By The Book ...

Charge the coach with a technical foul and then he sits (with legal exceptions). No other way, by rule, to get him to sit. If you follow the rules the phone call you get that night from your assigning commissioner will be a lot easier to answer.

Refk Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29am

Thanks for the feedback.

Rich Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 864127)
I have no problem with a threat, I have a problem with the wording. Threats can be implied by using better language. You can say the same thing without using the word "ejected." You can make it clear to a coach or player that their behavior is unacceptable and if it continues you might leave me with little choices. If you make any comment about being penalized you are making a threat IMO. It just might be implied instead of explicit.

Peace

I agree with you, but BillyMac's answer is the best one -- if you want a coach to sit, you gotta call a technical foul. That will sit him down -- anything else is really outside the rules.

grunewar Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 864236)
but BillyMac's answer is the best one --

I can't believe you put that in writing and THEN posted it! :rolleyes:

BillyMac Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:17pm

Can I Get Rich's Post Bronzed ???

Quote:

BillyMac's answer is the best one.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47793...h=123&c=7&rs=1

JRutledge Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:19pm

Quote:

I agree with you, but BillyMac's answer is the best one -- if you want a coach to sit, you gotta call a technical foul. That will sit him down -- anything else is really outside the rules.

I was not disagreeing with Billy really, just stating that we threaten all the time but we try to act like that is not what we call certain types of comments. Anytime we give a warning we are on some level threatening them with something no matter how blatant the comments can be seen by those receiving them.

Peace

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:21pm

I really don't like painting myself into a corner like the OP. It's putting you into the likely position of either having to lose your credibility or toss a coach for coaching his kids legally.

Bird Dog Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:52pm

Seen at last year's

state or semi-state game (as told to me). Old Lead going into new Trail ready to inbound ball on baseline. Holds ball. Takes 3 steps onto court and looks directly at HC (former state champion coach), points down in his/her direction and says only, calmly but sternly, "Box." Takes three steps back and put ball in play.

Coach, and everyone watching, got the message.

MD Longhorn Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:56pm

You two are almost saying the same thing, with one caveat.

If you're going to threaten (warn, whatever), it better be supported by rule. If you tell a coach - "If you keep doing X, I'm going to do Y", then you better have rule support for preventing him from doing X, and Y better be the appropriate penalty.

The problem in the OP is that this is not the case. X is not something you can tell a coach to stop unless you issue the T first.

Essentially, OP has issued a T without it counting toward his 2, and without awarding free throws. The OP landed in no-man's land. There's no such thing as half a T.

tomegun Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:26pm

Be nice...until it is time not to be nice.

One of my friends, and partner last night, told the coach to get back in his box last night. The game was stopped to do this and it became a big production. As the crew chief (we have crews - the association is basically divided by ten) this is something I do not endorse.

One of the officials in the game before mine (also on my crew) ran by a coach and said, "If you do_______again, I'm going to hit you with a T." The coach heard, "If you do_______again, I'm going to hit you." Poor choice of words for sure.

In both situations I would ask the coach a question that would likely start with "Please".

RIP Patrick Swayze

OKREF Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 864330)
RIP Patrick Swayze

His name is Dalton