Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
His name is Dalton
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Be nice...until it is time not to be nice.

One of my friends, and partner last night, told the coach to get back in his box last night. The game was stopped to do this and it became a big production. As the crew chief (we have crews - the association is basically divided by ten) this is something I do not endorse.

One of the officials in the game before mine (also on my crew) ran by a coach and said, "If you do_______again, I'm going to hit you with a T." The coach heard, "If you do_______again, I'm going to hit you." Poor choice of words for sure.

In both situations I would ask the coach a question that would likely start with "Please".

Be nice...until it is time not to be nice.
RIP Patrick Swayze
I know that my way of dealing with a coach at any level is to walk him back and say something like, "Could you please work with me and stay in the coaching box" or something non-threatening...if I need to deal with it later, I will, but it's not my goal to be antagonistic. I will be when the need arises, but my goal is to avoid (and hopefully keep the coach from) going from 0 to Defcon 5 in a short period of time.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Warning Will Robinson ..

Keep in mind that once a coach is "seat belted" for a technical foul (one direct, or one indirect) then we may have to go into a warning mode if he is doing more standing than what he is legally allowed to do by rule (request a time-out or signal his/her players to request a time-out; to confer with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out for correctable error, or a timing, scoring, or alternating-possession mistake be prevented, or rectified; to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game; during a charged time-out, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods; to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I knew I shouldn't post in the thread today. I sat a coach down the old fashioned way tonight. Sigh.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:45pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Keep in mind that once a coach is "seat belted" for a technical foul (one direct, or one indirect) then we may have to go into a warning mode if he is doing more standing than what he is legally allowed to do by rule (request a time-out or signal his/her players to request a time-out; to confer with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out for correctable error, or a timing, scoring, or alternating-possession mistake be prevented, or rectified; to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game; during a charged time-out, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods; to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player.
I still have a hard time deciding when to talk to coaches and when to ignore them. Does anyone have any advice on how much time should be spent talking to coaches, when is the best time, and how to decide whether or not talk to them at all? I do't want to interrupt the flow of the game, but I also don't want coaches legitimate questions to go unanswered.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

This is not a smart strategy at all.

First off, the coach by rule, has the right to use the coaching box. You can't eject him for simply standing and coaching. In HS, a technical foul results in loss of the coaching box privilege but in NCAA, the coach can still use the box after a technical foul.

Either way, threatening a coach in this regard is never a good thing. It sounds like he went too far and should have received a tech.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:04am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
His name is Dalton
Thought you would be bigger.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I still have a hard time deciding when to talk to coaches and when to ignore them. Does anyone have any advice on how much time should be spent talking to coaches, when is the best time, and how to decide whether or not talk to them at all? I do't want to interrupt the flow of the game, but I also don't want coaches legitimate questions to go unanswered.
Generally speaking, don't respond to statements. If there's a question, I'll answer it.
If they're making a statement, I generally react in one of three ways:
1) ignore it
2) say to them, "Coach, can I answer a question for you?"
3) go ahead and acknowledge that you've heard them. I'll sometimes say, "I hear ya, coach." That way they know their message has been delivered and received. It'll keep 'em quiet (for the moment, anyway) because they know you've heard them and they don't have to repeat themselves.

When answering a question, make the response as short as possible. Use rules book phraseology (is that a word?) without reciting the rules book. (i.e.: "He didn't give the defender time and distance, coach.") Avoid using terminology which perpetuates myths. (i.e.: "His feet weren't set, coach.")

If you give quick answers, you'll be able to respond to coaches within the flow of the game. During it, even.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Most legitimate questions can be answered in 5 words or less. I'm thinking that's not the problem. It's the follow-up comments from the coaches that are extending your conversations.