The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I've been giving this a lot of thought as I end a chapter of my life (college), and want to know from some of the vets and guys with D1, WNBA, CBA experience what it truly takes to make it to the NBA. I've got my career mapped out, but I always say to myself that I can always go back to officiating as a "vocation."

After sitting 2nd row at the Laker game Friday and watching Nunn, Spooner, and Fine, I truly feel that with some hard work I could make it. What do I need to do to make it happen? (Keep in mind I'm just shy of 22 with 5 years of high school [2 varsity] under my belt)
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Hard work, and lots and lots and lots and lots of luck!
(Did I mention lots of luck?)
There is no magic bullet.
You are smart to begin early. Get to some Camps that will give you exposure to the NBA system. I recommend Coast to Coast Referee School. It is run by some of the best in the business, and Ed Rush and Joe Borgia usually attend.
Derek Stafford has a camp, Ronnie Nunn has one in Texas.
Most of all be patient!!!! Some have made it fairly quickly, but most have had to endure, endure, endure.
After many years, I was fortunate to work the WNBA last season. Unfortunately, due to league contraction and other factors, I was not retained for this year. But I am going to try and get back there if I can. I also was fortunate to work the CBA this year. Great talent, and TWO MAN CREWS!
You have to work your butt off, but if you can ref Pro ball with a two man crew, you can ref anywhere.
If you have anymore specific questions, feel free to e-mail me. Eli Roe sometimes checks in on the board.
Eli works the WNBA, NBDL, and worked several Pre-season NBA games. Great guy, and one of the reasons I will miss being on the WNBA staff.
He can probably provide more insight.
Good luck.
Drake M.