The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Like I just said, I think everything through and I have a question for you. If we can agree, that raising your hand/arm cuts of part of your peripheral vision, and the player cuts off part of your vision beyond the player, which arm could we raise to cut off the least amount of vision? The arm closest to the player or furthest away from the player? This also assuming we agree that taking a step away/back after the player has the ball is a good practice.

This is opposite of the thought process I have for calling fouls or signalling three-point attempts, but since I'm not 6'8" the player will cut off my vision beyond the player anyway. Is that confusing?
I'm hoping no one is turned away from the thrower so far that their arm even gets into the field of vision that matters. Even if they raise the arm closest to the thrower, it should only be blocking stuff that is OOB behind the thrower.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
While I wouldn't want to put all of my ways on someone else, I think through almost everything and do things with some kind of logical thought.

1. I'm not in a hurry. This process slows things down.
  2. Most of the time I bounce the ball with both hands and then raise my arm.
  3. (heavily opinion based talking about myself) You know how something happens just as you are about to hand the ball to a player that keeps you from handing him/her the ball? It could be a sub, a partner isn't ready or anything that delays the inbounding. Yeah, I will not be that dufus holding his hand up the whole time OR having my hand up, lowering it because of the delay and then putting it back up.
I asked myself a long time ago, "Tom, what is the cleanest way to handle inbounding the ball?" And I answered, "Give the player the ball first, then raise your hand. It will look so much better."
When this was first talked about, I had to think about what I did and this is almost exactly my logic. I also bounce the ball with both hands and then when they have the ball, I raise my arm. I worked tonight and found myself trying to figure out what I actually did based on what we talked about on this site. I always found it a bit much to put my arm up the entire time. So if someone finds is odd that I do this, I would have to ask them why or what difference does it make? Again I think there are things that people do personally that really make no difference in the bigger picture. This makes absolutely no difference IMO.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Jeff. I don't think there's anything inherently better about either method.

Quote:
While I wouldn't want to put all of my ways on someone else, I think through almost everything and do things with some kind of logical thought.

1. I'm not in a hurry. This process slows things down.
  2. Most of the time I bounce the ball with both hands and then raise my arm.
  3. (heavily opinion based talking about myself) You know how something happens just as you are about to hand the ball to a player that keeps you from handing him/her the ball? It could be a sub, a partner isn't ready or anything that delays the inbounding. Yeah, I will not be that dufus holding his hand up the whole time OR having my hand up, lowering it because of the delay and then putting it back up.
I asked myself a long time ago, "Tom, what is the cleanest way to handle inbounding the ball?" And I answered, "Give the player the ball first, then raise your hand. It will look so much better."
I guess it just doesn't bother me to put my hand down if something interrupts the restart.

Quote:
Like I just said, I think everything through and I have a question for you. If we can agree, that raising your hand/arm cuts of part of your peripheral vision, and the player cuts off part of your vision beyond the player, which arm could we raise to cut off the least amount of vision? The arm closest to the player or furthest away from the player? This also assuming we agree that taking a step away/back after the player has the ball is a good practice.

This is opposite of the thought process I have for calling fouls or signalling three-point attempts, but since I'm not 6'8" the player will cut off my vision beyond the player anyway. Is that confusing?
This will vary depending on the extent of your peripheral vision, but when my arm is straight up, it's outside of my field of vision. I don't see it until the very end of chopping the clock and then just my hand. So I'm not blocking my vision either way.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not TOO confusing.

Seriously, though, I understand what you are saying. And, it's something I give thought to quite a bit when concentrating on my mechanics. In the situation I described earlier (me ---> player -----> lane), I've settled on the left arm raised, right hand handoff/bounce, left hand chop/count. Backing away two or three good steps opens up plenty of space for me to see all critical areas. If the inbound pass is directly to a teammate cutting towards the bucket, I move to improve, and move quickly.

On outside 3FGAs, I raise my outer arm so my view of the shooter, lane and rebounding action isn't obstructed.

Of course, there are situations where an official's view won't be exactly perfect and that's just the human factor. I'd like to think my mechanics give me the highest pctg opportunity to see most plays as clearly as possible. I'm always open to new techniques, though.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:08am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I agree with Jeff. I don't think there's anything inherently better about either method.

I guess it just doesn't bother me to put my hand down if something interrupts the restart.

This will vary depending on the extent of your peripheral vision, but when my arm is straight up, it's outside of my field of vision. I don't see it until the very end of chopping the clock and then just my hand. So I'm not blocking my vision either way.
I agree, it isn't that big of a deal, but I do think it looks better to raise the arm after handing the player the ball.

We must be physically different or I have some good peripheral vision. To get my arm out of my peripheral vision requires me to reach back uncomfortably.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
when this was first talked about, i had to think about what i did and this is almost exactly my logic. I also bounce the ball with both hands and then when they have the ball, i raise my arm. I worked tonight and found myself trying to figure out what i actually did based on what we talked about on this site. I always found it a bit much to put my arm up the entire time. So if someone finds is odd that i do this, i would have to ask them why or what difference does it make? Again i think there are things that people do personally that really make no difference in the bigger picture. This makes absolutely no difference imo.

Peace
+1