The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

inbounding mechanics

Curious what others do. I was told to never reach across your body to hand inbounder the ball. However this causes me to use that same hand for the 5 sec count and sometimes causes me to do a half arm motion to avoid hitting inbounder. What do you do?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do what I was first taught:
  • Ball in hand opposite the player. This is to prevent him taking the ball and in-bounding it.
  • Raise the arm closest to the in-bounder.
  • Pass him the ball (yes, across the body) if on the FC end line or if there's pressure when anywhere else on the court. Bounce otherwise.
  • Count with further arm.
  • Chop in time when legally touched in-bounds.
  • Use raised arm for a count if needed.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:34am
TODO: creative title here

Interesting... I was taught it differently:

Stand next to inbounder, ball in the arm next to the inbounder, but held in such a way that the inbounder can't easily grab it from you.
Raise opposite arm.
Hand ball to inbounder.
Take a step backward and/or away from inbounder to clear some space and get a better angle.
Begin count with arm nearest inbounder.
Chop when legally touched inbounds.
Begin a new count, if necessary, with chopping arm.

Personally, I almost never use a bounce. Maybe 1 or two times a game. I probably should use it more often.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Stand next to inbounder, ball in the arm next to the inbounder, but held in such a way that the inbounder can't easily grab it from you.
Raise opposite arm.
Hand ball to inbounder.
Take a step backward and/or away from inbounder to clear some space and get a better angle.
For HS, the same as above.

Since you should step back to better see the play, and since you (usually) will be at an angle (+/- 45*) to the boundary line, the swinging arm will not interfere with the play.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Raise opposite arm.
Hand ball to inbounder.

Personally, I almost never use a bounce. Maybe 1 or two times a game. I probably should use it more often.

Same here - but I probably hold the ball with two hands prior to handing it to the player so that they don't grab it from me. I believe all else is exactly how it was taught to me in a mechanics clinic.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Inbounding

If a player does try to grab the ball out of my hands

I'll blow my whistle so nothing can happen and let the player know that the

official will give you the ball
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Too much thought process in what you actually do IMO. What hand you give the ball to the thrower to me is up to you but if someone you work for makes a big deal then do what they suggest. Otherwise you should not make the ball available to them until you are ready.

If you are handing the ball then you step back a step or two based on the gym and watch the thrower and the defender closely if they are defending the throw. I would also start later on the count than early. And I will never give an audible count no matter if I am asked to do so or not. I do try to have the chop arm away from the thrower, but I admit I do not always do that mechanic.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Too much thought process in what you actually do IMO. What hand you give the ball to the thrower to me is up to you but if someone you work for makes a big deal then do what they suggest. Otherwise you should not make the ball available to them until you are ready.

If you are handing the ball then you step back a step or two based on the gym and watch the thrower and the defender closely if they are defending the throw. I would also start later on the count than early. And I will never give an audible count no matter if I am asked to do so or not. I do try to have the chop arm away from the thrower, but I admit I do not always do that mechanic.

Peace
Exactly.

There are a lot of personal opinions in this area that are often pushed as the "right" way.

If an official can't keep the player from grabbing the ball no matter which hand you hold the ball in, they might want to visit the weight room a few times.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:38pm
Often wrong never n doubt

If they grab it but don't muscle it away can we call a held ball?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:49pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
Curious what others do. I was told to never reach across your body to hand inbounder the ball. However this causes me to use that same hand for the 5 sec count and sometimes causes me to do a half arm motion to avoid hitting inbounder. What do you do?
Step away after handing the ball to the thrower to avoid hitting the thrower with your counting arm, if that's an issue on throw-ins where you're handing the ball. As others have said, lots of personal/area preference on this. IAABO and NFHS manuals don't necessarily delineate one way or the other, I don't believe, but NCAAW says to always count away from thrower. Some areas also say to always count toward the table on backcourt counts, which would have a direct effect on how you would mechanically do any backcourt throw-ins, too.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I honestly don't know what I do. I know i virtually always bounce unless I'm on the FC endline. Pressure only gives me more reason to be wider sooner.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

On a front court end line throw-in I hand the ball with the hand closest to the thrower-in. I then step and raise that same hand before I start my count with the arm furthest from the thrower-in.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I honestly don't know what I do. I know i virtually always bounce unless I'm on the FC endline. Pressure only gives me more reason to be wider sooner.
I agree. Some people promote the idea that you should hand it if there is pressure. I disagree with that completely. I'm more worried about covering the play as soon as the throwin starts rather than if the defender interferes with my ability to get the ball to the thrower. I bounce the ball to the side of the thrower anyway so the defender would have to really break the plane to get to the ball anyway.

Before I bounce the ball, I start close and, if necessarily, indicate that the defender shouldn't cross the plane. Then I step away. Once 3-4 steps back, I bounce the ball then put my arm up and start the count. I can cover the throwin and everything else around it a LOT better from 10 ft' than 2-3'.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Before I bounce the ball, I start close and, if necessarily, indicate that the defender shouldn't cross the plane. Then I step away. Once 3-4 steps back, I bounce the ball then put my arm up and start the count. I can cover the throwin and everything else around it a LOT better from 10 ft' than 2-3'.
I also inform the thrower-in that I'll be stepping away from him so don't follow me.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, many concepts and different ways. I guess it comes down to preference.